• Register
  • Help

Topic: KP2 GPO string legato problem

Share/Bookmark

KP2 GPO string legato problem

I was going to write a post about the latest bug I've encountered in KP2, but it's more than that. I had just begun to input a large orchestral score using KP2 for the first time. I'm up to measure 44 and have thrown in the towel.

The software, esp. the playback engine, just doesn't work correctly for GPO. Problems: aside from the random hang on load, which I've never been able to resolve (though to NI's credit, they did try), the string patches randomly sound goofed up. If I "restart engine", then they're ok again (for a while). Notes from various instruments randomly hang during playback. String legato CC64 doesn't work correctly. Instead of a clean release, there's a fading tremolo effect at phrase ends.

There are a lot of things I like about KP2; however, I have neither the time nor inclination to deal with this anymore. This is a mainstream Dell PC running XP, so it's hard to believe it's system specific. Everything else runs perfectly well, including the old GPO and the new ARIA player. I've set up dozens of scores with KP1 with nary a hitch, so, rather than attempt to find technical solutions for multiple problems, I'll resume using KP1 until GPO is eventually ported to ARIA.

fwiw

Re: KP2 GPO string legato problem

It's certainly up to you, but I think there are some who would be willing to help if you want?

So, if you want to troubleshoot, can you let us know what application you're using? I'm just curious if it's a notation program or sequencer.

Several of us are having playback issues with Finale 2008a and seems the best fix is reducing the polyphony of each instrument. I know your post is addressing strings specifically, but this might possibly help.

Steve Winkler

I appreciate the thought, Steve, but I've already been through this, specifically with the hang-on-load issue. People want to help, but they can't really relate. It's not a simple configuration problem, like reducing polyphony, and their systems typically aren't exhibiting the same problems, so there's nothing they can really do to help. NI apparently can't fix it, so there it is. I guess one could purchase another system, just for this software, on the outside chance that it would work, but why should one when everything else works fine?

There seems to be some sort of (over-)active memory manager in KP2 that is in direct contention with physical memory, the memory drivers, and/or the Intel memory accelerator, causing deadlock and other artifacts, but I'm not going to pursue it further. It's supposed to work and it doesn't. Normally, I'd just ask for my money back and be done with it, but instead I'll sit tight, hoping to eventually upgrade through the ARIA ports.

Thanks again,
    Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by swinkler View Post
    It's certainly up to you, but I think there are some who would be willing to help if you want?

So, if you want to troubleshoot, can you let us know what application you're using? I'm just curious if it's a notation program or sequencer.

Several of us are having playback issues with Finale 2008a and seems the best fix is reducing the polyphony of each instrument. I know your post is addressing strings specifically, but this might possibly help.

Steve Winkler

I would love to know more, am also having the problem that i can´t get legato playing in KP2.
    Any help is much appretiated.
    Dave

Go Back to forum