• Register
  • Help

Topic: G.Steinway - Why 44100 sample rate? if 96000 capable?

Share/Bookmark

G.Steinway - Why 44100 sample rate? if 96000 capable?

The GS manual recommends using 44100 as the sample rate for best results. Is there any reason not to use 96000 if you audio interface can handle it?

Thanks for all thoughts.

Re: G.Steinway - Why 44100 sample reate? if 96000 capable?

Quote Originally Posted by jrcallan View Post
    The GS manual recommends using 44100 as the sample rate for best results. Is there any reason not to use 96000 if you audio interface can handle it?

Thanks for all thoughts.
    We had a decision to make regarding 44.1khz vs 96khz as the original recorded samples were done in 96khz. If we opted for 96khz library, the size of the library would have inflated to 167 gigabytes. There would have been a 2.5 times load on the CPU, on the memory and the hard drive and simply not have worked on many computers. There have been many debates as to whether people can tell the difference we did not think the performance hit the library would have taken was worth the sacrifice.

In that context, we opted for optimal performance.

Best,

Gary Garritan

Re: G.Steinway - Why 44100 sample rate? if 96000 capable?

Gary, do you still have these 96kHz original sample recordings? In case there would be a huge demand for even bigger library for studio (not live playing) purposes, is it still possible to release the bigger Steinway? Or maybe the whole thing was downsampled to 44.1, and originals are lost?

Mateusz

96 kHz makes little sense. The key is that they use 24-bit samples. Every time you double the sample rate it's like adding one more bit of resolution. Go for the bits every time.

The other decision was 44.1 or 48. I think 44.1 makes sense. This is much more likely to be used on music CDs than on film. And most samples used in film are 44.1 kHz anyway.

I generally work in 44.1 kHz until the music is done, and then convert to 48 kHz as the last step before integrating music with video. If all my samples were at 48 kHz, that would be marginally better, but I'd never use 96. It's not worth the performance hit.

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst View Post
    I generally work in 44.1 kHz until the music is done, and then convert to 48 kHz as the last step before integrating music with video. If all my samples were at 48 kHz, that would be marginally better, but I'd never use 96. It's not worth the performance hit.
    Yeah, SRC is always the last step in my chain too.

Go Back to forum