• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Classic Accordions and Bosendorfer, TANGO!

Share/Bookmark

Classic Accordions and Bosendorfer, TANGO!

Here is a new demo of the \"Classic Accordions\" and the \"Bosendorfer Imperial\" featuring a Tango!
    http://www.bardstownaudio.com/mp3/Tango.mp3

Kip
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

Re: Classic Accordions and Bosendorfer, TANGO!

The piano sounds good but there\'s something wrong with the Accordion. The attack is too sharp and the notes sound too repetitive.

As a big fan of Piazzolla\'s work, this accordion would never fool me.

Good piano though!

Well what I hear is just sustained accordion keys sampled. I don\'t mean necc. this demo or library, but sampled accordion in general.

You miss the breathing of the accordion. The pulling and stretching comes with it\'s own accordion-idiomatic expression curves, attack & note switches.

Not sure if you could sample that. Same problem as strings perhaps.

[This message has been edited by Maarten Spruijt (edited 03-22-2002).]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by midphase:
    The piano sounds good but there\'s something wrong with the Accordion. The attack is too sharp and the notes sound too repetitive.

As a big fan of Piazzolla\'s work, this accordion would never fool me.

Good piano though!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Glad you like the sampled \"Bosendorfer Imperial\" concert grand piano!

I am a huge fan of Astor Piazzolla as well!

Astor Piazzolla did not play accordion, he played a bandoneon, which is an instrument that is similar to an accordion, but is different.

A bandoneon resembles a large concertina in appearance. Also, a bandoneon does not have sharp attacks like an accordion. The attacks on a bandoneon are much less pronounced than an accordion.

The sampled accordions in the \"Classic Accordions\" collection are sample recorded with much precise detail and do depict the exact attack sounds of real accordions.

I have been a professional accordion musician for over thirty years, and I do know exactly what accordions are supposed to sound like, and I say with complete honesty that the sampled accordions in the \"Classic Accordions\" collection emulate real accordions very precisely.

Kip
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

[This message has been edited by Bardstown Audio (edited 03-22-2002).]

Well, I would be really interested in hearing a slow piece played with your accordion samples. Could only find polka\'s and other up tempo demos on your site. How would you emulate \"airing\" of the instrument? I\'m just curious, not giving critics on your library because I don\'t know it (only from the demos), but I\'m still looking for a good accordion sample!

I am in the process of posting some new demos of the \"Classic Accordions.\" They should be up on my web site later today or tomorrow at the latest.

Kip
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

Ok cool !

Convince me and I\'ll buy your library hehheh

Hello Maarten,

I will gladly post a slower demo using the accordions.

One thing that I would like to mention is that many people who play accordion lack good bellow control, thus giving a whooaaoaaooaoaa sound on sustained notes. It is the same principle as someone attempting to play a violin who has poor bowing technique, which can sound horrible. Many people have become accustomed to thinking that is the way an accordion is supposed to sound, when in reality, the sound is not at all smooth or pleasing to people who know how accordions are supposed to sound when played properly by professional accordion musicians. Many people who are unfamiliar with the way accordions are supposed to sound when played by professionals, will define this whooaoaaaoaoa sound as having air.

I have heard many recordings of accordions that have that undesirable whooaaoaooaoaoao sound. You will not hear this sort of thing with the \"Classic Accordions.\" The sampled notes were played properly with good technique during the sample recording process, thus sounding smooth and even, as they are supposed to sound when properly played by professional accordion musicians.

Kip
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

One other point I failed to mention in the previous post is quiet often many people who play accordion change direction of the bellows in the middle of a phrase, or even a sustained note. I have heard this quiet a bit on some recordings as well.

This improper technique also lends itself to giving that so called \"airy\" sound, by changing direction of the bellows in the middle of a phrase, or even on a sustained note. There again, many people are accustomed to hearing accordions played with this poor and improper playing technique, and thus thinking that this is the way accordions are supposed to sound.

Many people who play accordions have not studied accordion with a professional teacher. They started playing accordion as a second instrument and never learned proper playing skills. This is extremely evident to me from what I hear on many recordings, and also from some live performances of people playing accordion that I have seen and heard as well.

Kip
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

Ok, thanks for the info! I\'m curious about the upcoming demos.

Still, would it be possible to play, for instance, a nice, expressive, Piazzolla-style slow swell/crescendo from pp to f and back. It can\'t be done with just volume. Could it be done with x-fading? Or special sample perhaps...

Go Back to forum