• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Steinway Grand for Jazz wanted

Share/Bookmark

Steinway Grand for Jazz wanted

Hello,
    I'm looking for a sampled Steinway grand piano for a Jazz setup. I really like Garritan Steinw., QL Pianos and Synthogy Ivory. But those pianos are all recorded in big spaces. I would like to have the same recorded in a smaller room with under lid, close and distant mikes. Like the room of fxpansion BFD Jazz and Funk. That sounds so intemate.

What is the problem again with sampled pianos libraries recorded in anechoic rooms? VSL did this for all instruments in their silent stage. I would be more flexible.

If I use the Garritan under lid version I can still hear the hall in the background, right? I used Altiverb to get another room feeling but of course this cannot work because of the recorded reverb.

What would you advise me?

To Mr. Garritan: Is there a Steinway planned recorded in a smaller, more intemate room?

Regards,
    Metuschelach

Re: Steinway Grand for Jazz wanted

Quote Originally Posted by Metuschelach View Post
    Hello,
    I'm looking for a sampled Steinway grand piano for a Jazz setup. I really like Garritan Steinw., QL Pianos and Synthogy Ivory. But those pianos are all recorded in big spaces. I would like to have the same recorded in a smaller room with under lid, close and distant mikes. Like the room of fxpansion BFD Jazz and Funk. That sounds so intemate.

What is the problem again with sampled pianos libraries recorded in anechoic rooms? VSL did this for all instruments in their silent stage. I would be more flexible.

If I use the Garritan under lid version I can still hear the hall in the background, right? I used Altiverb to get another room feeling but of course this cannot work because of the recorded reverb.

To Mr. Garritan: Is there a Steinway planned recorded in a smaller, more intemate room?

Regards,
    Metuschelach
    Hi Metuschelach,

Yes, there is a Steinway planned that is recorded in a smaller, more intimate room.

The Under the Lid may be okay as the room ambiance is the least noticed. If you want, email me a test midi file I could send an MP3 made with the under the lid perspective for you to see if it's intimate enough for your needs.

Best,

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Metuschelach View Post
    Hello,

Regards,
    Metuschelach
    Check out the Black Grand at www.sampletekk.com
    Worra
    SampleTekk

Arf, arf, arf...

For jazz, SampleTekk makes a lot of terrific pianos. I own several of their piano libraries, and highly recommend them.

For more intimate, solo piano jazz, I absolutely adore the 7CG (Seven Seas Grand), which has a certain 'body' to the sound that is very rare among sampled pianos.

white grand is awsome but may be to bright for jazz but worth a listen

Quote Originally Posted by gregjazz View Post
    For jazz, SampleTekk makes a lot of terrific pianos. I own several of their piano libraries, and highly recommend them.

For more intimate, solo piano jazz, I absolutely adore the 7CG (Seven Seas Grand), which has a certain 'body' to the sound that is very rare among sampled pianos.

I agree. Listen to my "Eleanor Rigby" demo in the Sampletekk site. It is not jazz, put it is jazzy.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

you might try Grandioso Steinway D. They have some close mic'ings and its a pretty nice 8 and 16 layer selection of samples
    Christopher Kennedy Alpiar
    Cinematic Composer
    www.alpiar.com

Quote Originally Posted by TheAlps View Post
    you might try Grandioso Steinway D. They have some close mic'ings and its a pretty nice 8 and 16 layer selection of samples
    I second the Grandioso Steinway D. A really warm, beautiful instrument.

I prefer a B for pop and jazz.

Art Vista's Virtual Grand is reasonably priced.

The updated version includes a new, warmer preset. In general I still prefer the Classic, Dry preset from v.1. There are demos on the site. The developer's own Improvisation will give you a good idea of how the v.1 basic preset sounds.

reason pianos...yes really! a steinway d, steinway k, and yamaha c7 all recorded with multiple mics, including a stereo pair in what they call the "jazz mic position".

Go Back to forum