• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Garritan Steinway goes out clubbing

Share/Bookmark

The Garritan Steinway goes out clubbing

I noticed some interest in how the Steinway would sound in a jazz club setting so I rendered this from an available MIDI file of a jazz trio. The song is Rodgers & Harts "I Didn't Know What Time It Was."
    I used the Underlid perspective for this and the Jazz Club 1 Ambience setting. The bass is the upright 2 from JABB, and I used a brush kit in EZ Drummer for the percussion.
    I hope this is a convincing trio sound. Let me hear what you think. John

http://www.box.net/shared/static/oux76nfkkk.mp3

Re: The Garritan Steinway goes out clubbing

Nice music and thanks for submitting a jazz demo of the GS.

My first impression was that the bass/drums and piano sound as though they are in different rooms. Have you considered easing up on the piano ambience?

Cheers

Richard P

On first listening I find it utterly and completely convincing. I'm listening alternatively through SR 225 headphones, Kef 104 bookshelves, Mackie 824s, and Proac Response 1scs. Really, let's face it: this music is so completely and utterly REAL that NO ONE, even those of us blessed with golden ears, will detect an iota of artificiality. TOTALLY REAL.

I don't know if folks have realized it, yet, but this Steinway sample, given respect, that is to say, played or sequenced right, provides complete realism. I don't know what else you are working with, sample-wise, but BRAVO. Good stuff!!

JG

Ivory: I found it pretty convincing, at least, on the basis of the mp3 demos at their site. I even gave the sample a test drive at a local dealer here in Toronto. But I wasn't completely convinced, really. I have recently bought "another" Steinway sample, which is demanding, but which I like more and more. I like it for the recorded sound it yields. I can't speak for the sample in live settings. That's not my thing.

JG

Thumbs up Re: The Garritan Steinway goes out clubbing

Absolutely great jazz theme! The sequencing is really good and the piano sound is perfect.

Thank you Bigears and congratulations to Garritan.

BTW, the upright bass from JABB is really good IMO. I use it a lot.
    Eduardo Tarilonte |Sample Library Developer
    SampleLibraries |MyWeb

Quote Originally Posted by bigears View Post
    I hope this is a convincing trio sound. Let me hear what you think. John
    Great sound and very nice piece. Great playing.

Really liked your rendition of this tune. That gentle swing is perfect for the lyric.

For upright bass, my ears still prefer THE BASS from Bardstown Audio - gut strings.

Excellent playing..I use Ivory for everything..recently went thru a thing where I tried 8 different cabs to use it live, finally took it out last week for quintet gigs..it exceeded my expectations..I will never use a DP again..on the recording, I like the blend, or how the piano LH blends w/the overall tone..
    I get that recording Ivory, but live its a harder thing to get correct..I like Ivory better for the higher registers, but Im nitpiking, your playing and the arrgmt are excellent...Bill Evans/Oscar P...Ive been chking out the Garritan, but also the Bluthner, which I really like.
    Isnt it great to have accoustic piano's to choose from???

Hello, Thanks everyone for your comments on this piece. I appreciate the tips and continue to work on this piece. I am checking out the Bardstown Bass and have gone back and forth looking for the right bass samples. I have just recently posted another jazz piano trio rendition of a Gershwin tune on the Garritan Listening Room if anyone is interested in another round of the Steinway in a jazz setting.(The Bigears Trio at the Cafe Insomnie) Things are definitely getting interesting in the sampled and modeled piano world.
    Thanks again, John (bigears)

Nice playing. But I think the drums are a detriment to the recording. They don't swing at all and the piece would be a much better demo of the piano sound if it were just piano and bass. Any chance of reposting sans drums?
    Rich

Go Back to forum