• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Reaper vs Acid Pro for JABB

Share/Bookmark

Reaper vs Acid Pro for JABB

Hi all, JABB and all my VSTi's have issues in Acid. i have been using Acid Pro 6 for a year and its terrible, the support is next to non-existent and they never update it - so many have reffered me to Reaper. I have it , but cannot figure out how to get it to play my VSTi's.

I insert a midi track, then add a VSTI in the FX tab on the channel, it comes up, the midi tab says my Axiom is enabled, but i cannot trigger the VSTI from my Axiom - it works via mouse to virtual keyboard.

If any one is familiar with Reaper - please help me figure out this .

Cheers

josh

Re: Reaper vs Acid Pro for JABB

Did you add your axiom as a midi device in preferences? ( sounds like you did but had to ask )

Dont panic! I have an axiom 49 also and it works perfectly with my Vst's and Vsti's in Reaper. Sliders and knobs need to be assigned for most vst's.

Your problem might be best addressed to the Reaper forum and I really learned a great deal from the Reaper Manual that Nicholas put together.
    ( also available as a pdf file on the download page.)

Carulli,

Hi - thanks, yup, its added, although i tried all 3 poss status's (Control, Edit , and edit-control) but still no luck.

I've tried what it says on the Wiki Manual page (setting up a VSTi).

I'd really like to switch to it - Acid and Sony have gone down the tubes - i've paid them over 400.00 over a year ago, and have not been able to use Acid Pro 6 YET! They are not updating it and support paases the buck.

Reaper, in theory seems the opposite - freq updates, i've heard good support, etc..

but , setting up a VSTi seems alot more involved.

So its added in preferences.

When you open Reaper and Insert new Track.
    2. Click the Record button for this new track
    3.Right click on the area next to out. In the choices available you chose

Midi Input and it list the various midi choices you have . ie virtual midi kboard : All midi inputs and of course the one you are after Axiom 49 or whichever you have > It should list it as axiom 1 and axiom 2 in > another right click should open open the listing of available channels ... 1 through 16.

Give Garritan Personal Orchestra I set the input to all channels and then once I pull the Vsti' up I switch to whatever channel is called by the instrument in Kontakt... Ie Violin on Channel 1 , cello on Channel 5 and so on...

So define at what point you arent getting the Vst's to open.. Remember Garritan stuff is a VST'i .. I as in Instrument. Reaper distinguishes between the two.

Ok - thanks...

i had not hit the REC button (in most other DAW's i've used you dont ARM it til later) ... so i'll try that.

i had gotten to where a track was loaded > FX tab on track > insert VSTi (JABB) > VSTi comes up and can load a sound, but Axiom is not triggering it (it does trigger and sound via Mouse over Virt Keys)...

In the DAW's ive used in the Past (Sonar, Cubase, Acid, ...) you simply load the VSTi and there is a Midi Rx tab (you would select Axiom) and a Midi send Tab (where you want it to ge, ex: JABB - and i am sure there is here too, but i am not figuring it out yet. I have opened the I/O tab, but i only see a drop down for Midi RX ( i selected Axiom) but then i dont see how to rout it TO VSTi.

I guess thats where i am lost....

Maybe its seeing (maybe) Axiom , but its not routing to it.

Thanks again !!!

Once you've got your track established ANY midi input shows up in the same slot where it prints out MIDI AXIOM .

Left of the label you Should see a small blinking red square; this is showing input. DO you have the red square..

Did You choose all channels once you made the selection. It seems like maybe you didnt. Remember the Vst 'i cant be triggered if its on another channel.

Carulli,

thanks - i think you are right, i will fool with and post back my results.

cheers,

josh

Carulli,

Thanks - ok, yes , what you have told me is working - i am NOW getting the Red Midi indicator upon triggering Axiom....Had to change Axiom (in Pref) to "enabled + control" instead of "control" or "enabled" only.

BUT still not getting it TO VSTi (JABB) - all settings are on Midi Ch1 (both in the drop down in REC arm window and on JABB.

It seems there should be a tab to assign Midi OUT/Send to the VSTi, somewhere (usually in the Track) - but i am not seeing it. In the REC window (right click) drop down, i see alot of options , but not MIDI Out-Send ?

Cheers,

Josh

Doesnt JABB use the Kontackt engine also? In GPO ( orchestra ) each instrument is assigned a different channel.

let's see. You have the red blinker and...Midi automaticlly goes out from the Keyboard if you have it set. That is also in the box where you assigned properties for the track. ( Midi input, virtual keyboard or whatever)

Make sure that tab then has RECORD OUTPUT checked.. Then you have the further option to RECORD OUTPUT stereo,mono or midi. With or without latency compensation. Ect ..ect.

For now lets assume you are capable of getting sound out of something overthere .
    Just click
    RECORD OUTPUT stereo latency compensated.
    Set the Midi input on that tab to all channels.. Load your JABB and something should come out

Edit::: IF you still dont get any sound click the IO tab...( 2 buttons left of the FX button) Make sure you have assigned Audio hardware ouputs .

Yeah, its Kontakt 2 player...

First, i did like you said....drop down > selected Axiom (which i think is assigning the midi in) - that was not being done before (progress) by me.

UPDATE:

I then changed it to RECORD OUTPUT stereo, but no luck , THEN i accidentally clicked on the little box with a Speaker Icon next to the REC window (Red Blinky) and it changed something and started WORKING !!!!

Is that "little box with a Speaker Icon" on the FAR left Lower of TRACK window, the REC OUTPUT box ? I guess that was set on something else.

Thanks!!!

Go Back to forum