• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Child’s Play – Many mini miniatures (Steinway)

Share/Bookmark

Child’s Play – Many mini miniatures (Steinway)

Actually, Book 1 of Child’s Play….

A week or two ago somebody posted something that had only I and V. That got me to thinking and seeming out of nowhere an idea struck.

I decided to do a series of miniatures that started harmonically very simply and increased in the harmonic means allowed. I quickly jotted down the following chart :
    (couldn't post chart, so simplified)

1. I
    2. V
    3. IV
    4. II, IV
    5. III, VII, modal interchange chords
    6. secondary dominants, pivot chord modulations
    7. Neapolitan 6, secondary VII
    8. Augmented 6 (Italian, German, French)
    9. Chromatic Variations pn chords
    10. Enharmonic Modulation
    11. Sequential and Pivot tone Modulation
    12. Chords built on fourths and fifths
    13. free, 12-tone

Each piece allows a chord or harmonic technique given on that line and all of the lines above it..
    I'd go down the chart in major, circle of fifths, then back up in minor, circle of fourths (so 1 would c major, 25 c minor, etc.)

From the beginning I allowed chromatic non-harmonic tones.

I wanted the pieces to be between 20 and 45 seconds 9a couple are longer). The reason is I wanted to write them very rapidly (I wrote first 6 in an afternoon). Also, I want something short that people might listen to the whole thing (first 13 takes less than 9 minutes).

Accidently I put in Neapolitan chords in #6, so I changed the order of 6 and 7 – 7 introduces secondary dominants and simple modulations.

I wanted each one to be unique and so this was also an exercise in different styles.

So anyway, I finished the first 13 (major keys and barely c), which I will call the first book (# 13 goes with both books). Not sure when (or if) I will get to Book 2.

Without further ado, here is Book one of Child’s Play.
    Trent P. McDonald

Re: Child’s Play – Many mini miniatures (Steinway)

Trent

I can tell you are having fun with your new toy. Notice that the face is green with envy.

# 2 was just great. Lively and very entertaining. I enjoyed a number of the others as well, but lost count of which ones I was listening to.

Well done!

Ron

What a neat idea!

I admit I have a soft head, er, soft spot for
    miniatures to begin with -- but these are very
    well done, Trent!

Much applause for a good idea, well executed!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

I love this sort of exercise. Very well done and nicely presented. Thanks for sharing this. John

Hey, I had posted something that only used I and V chords! =O

I only got the time to listen to about half. I listen to the rest later. What I've heard so far is really cool. I also lost count, but I like all of them. I'm looking forward to finish listening to it tomorrow!
    Last edited by Cransworth; 05-05-2008 at 09:45 PM. Reason: Ugh. Grammar/spelling

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    Trent

I can tell you are having fun with your new toy. Notice that the face is green with envy.

# 2 was just great. Lively and very entertaining. I enjoyed a number of the others as well, but lost count of which ones I was listening to.

Well done!

Ron
    Hi Ron.

You are right: I have been having a lot of fun with it. And you should be green… actually, you should keep a jar by your computer and toss in a quarter, a dollar or a five every time you sit and before you know it, well, you may be making others green... Think of it as tips to yourself….

I’m glad you enjoyed what you heard. Actually, # 2 is the only (well, there is one other, in a way) that is based on old material. In this case, very old – back in the prehistoric days I had 2 mono synths and did everything in 2-part counterpoint (didn’t study counterpoint, so lots of consecutive 5s and 8s). # 2 is about 85% one of these 20+ year old compositions.

Anyway, thanks for listening and for your comments.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    What a neat idea!

I admit I have a soft head, er, soft spot for
    miniatures to begin with -- but these are very
    well done, Trent!

Much applause for a good idea, well executed!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Since about 90% of what I post is (are?) piano miniatures, I guess I’m soft in the head, I mean I have a soft place in my heart for them too.

I had a lot of fun with these and whipped them up in record time (for me), writing almost 9 minutes of music in a week. Actually, everything was written on 3 days – 4/27, 5/3 and 5/4 and rendered last night. A great review, too.

Thanks for listening and for your kind comments.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by bigears View Post
    I love this sort of exercise. Very well done and nicely presented. Thanks for sharing this. John
    This was a fun exercise. My only hope was that people would enjoy listening half as much as I enjoyed writing.

Thanks for listening and for your comments.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by Cransworth View Post
    Hey, I had posted something that only used I and V chords! =O

I only got the time to listen to about half. I listen to the rest later. What I've heard so far is really cool. I also lost count, but I like all of them. I'm looking forward to finish listening to it tomorrow!
    Yes! It was yours – the Woodblock Concerto. I had forgotten who had done it until I saw your post. So, thanks for the great idea (though I know originally it came from your instructor).

Hope you enjoy when you get back to it. Thanks for the comments.
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd View Post
    Yes! It was yours – the Woodblock Concerto. I had forgotten who had done it until I saw your post. So, thanks for the great idea (though I know originally it came from your instructor).

Hope you enjoy when you get back to it. Thanks for the comments.
    Haha. Thanks, I guess. I'm glad I helped you come up with this (and indirectly, my director did, too).
    Good thing I came back to finish it, or I wouldn't have heard my favorite. I like the 12th variation, probably because I love 4ths.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast