• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sonatita No. 1 in F# Major, "Final Project"

Share/Bookmark

Sonatita No. 1 in F# Major, "Final Project"

So here's another project from my Music Theory I Class. I always like to post them here before I turn them it. This one was our Final Project.
    The requirements are:
    Piano only
    Major Key
    4-measure cadences
    A-B format (16 measures for A and 16 for B) ---he said we can have an intro.

I used the piano from GPO.

It is a Sonatita because of it's length, not because of it's difficulty level.

Sonatita No. 1 in F# Major, "Final Project"
    http://www.box.net/shared/j9ux2xbwco

Re: Sonatita No. 1 in F# Major, "Final Project"

Cransworth

I really like the B section, but we are so far away from the piano that it is hard to discern the notes. If you centered this a little more and used a smaller space/less reverb, I think it would help a lot.

Well done

Ron

Hey there,

Are you able, or did you, use some chromatic "type" chords?; like secondary dominants. Might help with some color in the A section. I agree with Ron, a bit less verb and the B section is very nice.

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Yeah, I realized that and started playing around with the reverb after I had posted this. I'm gonna work with that to get a better sound and replace the link.

I think we were only supposed to use a basic I IV V I progression with a couple minor chords and stuff. That class is basic music theory, so he doesn't want it to get very complicated.

I think that for the class project that you presented to you and using a limited amount of chordal resources, you did a admiral presentation. The piece works very well as a small sonatita. The reverb is way over the top but that is part of the learning process in GPO and your DAW not the class project per se.

This is a nice little piece, now expand it into a full sonata and remove your class restrictions. Turn this in to the prof and then you can have some fun with your writing!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

I just opened the Finale file again, and for some reason it didn't have as much reverb.... I'm not good with computer programs...

Uh, I guess it kinda sounds better now I'll update the link.

Also, think is my first real piano composition, so tell me what you think!!!

A pleasing sonatina, Cransworth.

In Finale, I assume you are using Ambience. To me,
    this sounds like you went with their default settings
    for Wet and Dry -- which are just about dead backwards
    from what they should be.

Try Dry at 0 db, and Wet at round -3 to -4 db, and
    work from there... that should alleviate the "it's in
    the next room" effect... lol.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by Cransworth View Post
    I think we were only supposed to use a basic I IV V I progression with a couple minor chords and stuff. That class is basic music theory, so he doesn't want it to get very complicated.
    Pretty good for a Theory I project. I would definately say I IV V I is the extent in Theory I. Most schools won't hit the chromatic chords (Aug6, Neapolitan, etc) until III. You will get secondary dominants and tonicization in Theory II if you haven't already.
    Jess Hendricks
    DMA Student and Teaching Asst in Music Theory/ Composition at the University of Miami
    Personal Website

etLux-
    Thanks for the help. I've never really used the piano before, so I didn't know what to do for the settings. That does sound better.

jesshmusic-
    We could use other chords, but I don't really wanna be like, "Oh, I'm showing off and I know everything." I normally keep things simple in that class (even though I was tempted to use a neapolitan chord a couple times...). I mean, everyone in the class thinks that I'm way better than I really am, so I try not to over do it sometimes. The teacher knows that I'm ahead, and he'll teach me some extra stuff here and there, so it's okay.

Nice little project for your class. Like the others, I particularly liked the B section.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum