• Register
  • Help

Topic: Virtual MIDI Drivers for Authorized Steinway & non-hosted music apps

Share/Bookmark

Virtual MIDI Drivers for Authorized Steinway & non-hosted music apps

Some of you have asked if the Authorized Steinway could work in Finale or other music programs that support MIDI but do not support open plug-in hosting. I mentioned that we'll find a solution and am happy to say we now have one. This will be useful to not only Finale users but users of earlier Sibelius versions, Encore, Noteworthy Composer, Harmony Assistant, earlier Band-in-a-box, Capella, QuickScore, Super Conductor, etc. etc.

This is similar to the way the old GPO Studio application used to work.

You can download the following virtual "Garritan Steinway" output MIDI driver that will allow Finale and other music programs to see the Authozied Steinway. It's available as a free download to registered users.

http://www.garritan.com/SteinwaySupp...alMidiPort.zip

Simply install and the "Garritan Steinway" output MIDI drivers should appear in your MIDI setup. Start your notation program, then Garritan Steinway and in preferences add "Garritan Steinway (in)" to your active MIDI input drivers and the virtual cable shall be active.

Please note: This is for windows only as in OSX as there is already a virtual MIDI driver. For Mac users: start the standalone virtual Steinway. The Virtual Steinway receives midi in the list of midi input devices - preferences - midi devices. Open your notation program and it will appear in your list of midi devices.

A big thank you to Jeff and David for making this possible.

All the best,

Gary Garritan

Re: Virtual MIDI Drivers for Authorized Steinway & non-hosted music apps

Gary, I have downloaded this twice on different computers. When I attempt to unzip it and open it, I get this message:

! C:\Documents and Settings\John\Desktop\SteinwayVirtualMidiPort.zip: Unknown method in Steinway Virtual Midi Port.exe
    ! C:\Documents and Settings\John\Desktop\SteinwayVirtualMidiPort.zip: No files to extract

Has anyone been able to unzip and install this? Thanks, John

Looks like the zip was not right. I unzipped the file and make a new link. Try this:

http://www.garritan.com/SteinwaySupport/

Right click and "save as" if clicking on the link doesn't start the download

Let me know if this works.

Best,

gary

Gary, Now I was able to download the exe and the installation went smoothly. I am attempting to get this to work with Finale 2008 and I am still having some problems. I will contact support about the snag I have hit. Thanks for fixing the download. John

Question Re: Virtual MIDI Drivers for Authorized Steinway & non-hosted music apps

I just installed Finale 2008 and the Steinway, and I attempted to execute this program, but received an error message to the effect that this only works on x86 architecture. This is on a new Windows vista 64 laptop.
    Does a solution exist for me to use Finale 2008 with the Steinway under this architecture?

Go Back to forum