• Register
  • Help

Topic: Virtual MIDI Drivers for Authorized Steinway & non-hosted music apps

Share/Bookmark

Virtual MIDI Drivers for Authorized Steinway & non-hosted music apps

Some of you have asked if the Authorized Steinway could work in Finale or other music programs that support MIDI but do not support open plug-in hosting. I mentioned that we'll find a solution and am happy to say we now have one. This will be useful to not only Finale users but users of earlier Sibelius versions, Encore, Noteworthy Composer, Harmony Assistant, earlier Band-in-a-box, Capella, QuickScore, Super Conductor, etc. etc.

This is similar to the way the old GPO Studio application used to work.

You can download the following virtual "Garritan Steinway" output MIDI driver that will allow Finale and other music programs to see the Authozied Steinway. It's available as a free download to registered users.

http://www.garritan.com/SteinwaySupport/
    Right click and "save as" if clicking on the link doesn't start the download

Simply install and the "Garritan Steinway" output MIDI drivers should appear in your MIDI setup. Start your notation program, then Garritan Steinway and in preferences add "Garritan Steinway (in)" to your active MIDI input drivers and the virtual cable shall be active.

Please note: This is for windows only as in OSX as there is already a virtual MIDI driver. For Mac users: start the standalone virtual Steinway. The Virtual Steinway receives midi in the list of midi input devices - preferences - midi devices. Open your notation program and it will appear in your list of midi devices.

A big thank you to Jeff and David for making this possible.

All the best,

Gary Garritan

Re: Virtual MIDI Drivers for Authorized Steinway & non-hosted music apps

Thanks, Gary. Although I don't use Finale a lot in this manner, I do occasionally have need to do so and this will make it infinitely easier.

This "Software Company" just gets better and better!
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

Hi, Gary. I'm a Finale 2008a user and I just received my Authorized Steinway Standard Edition book. It's a beautiful product.

I need a little more 'hand-holding' to get Finale to 'see' Steinway. I have run the 'Steinway Virtual Midi Port' program and rebooted.

I do not know how to complete this step- "Simply install and the 'Garritan Steinway' output MIDI drivers should appear in your MIDI setup. Start your notation program, then Garritan Steinway and in preferences add 'Garritan Steinway (in)' to your active MIDI input drivers and the virtual cable shall be active."

Could a more experienced Finale user walk me through this process? Thanks.

Tony

Thanks; helped me figure some things out. I needed to go into Finale 'MIDI Setup' and change from you audio card to 'Steinway'; that worked. Then I needed to start Steinway, go to Tools --> Preferences and choose only 'Garritan Steinway (in)' for MIDI'. I also need to select a 'Microphone Position' on the standalone Steinway window. With this, I can hear the Steinway VSTi with Finale. That's good.

Question: Does this mean that I can't use the new Steinway VSTi together with GSO or Jazz Band?

Quote Originally Posted by jjloving View Post
    You could probably run KP2 inside Finale, and send only your piano staves out of Finale to the Steinway standalone.
    No, that's not possible. You cannot mix VSTi with standalone. But, you can route your MIDI output to up to 8 standalone synths/samplers. So it is possible to route MIDI to ARIA (Steinway) through one MIDI Out port and to KP2 (GPO/JABB) through another MIDI Out port.

Bear in mind though, that most soundcards' ASIO drivers aren't multi client capable - you can't route audio from ARIA and KP2 to the same ASIO driver unless the ASIO driver can handle multiple clients (synths/samplers), which most can't. In this case you will need to use the MME or DirectX driver instead (with the same latency!).

An alternative method is to route all MIDI data to an external VST host (fx. Bidule, Forte or Kore 2) and then load ARIA and KP2 in this host as VSTi plugins. You can then also apply the same reverb to both plugins by loading a reverb VSTfx plugin in the VST host and route ARIA and KP2 to this reverb plugin. With the standalones you will have to use their internal reverbs, which may or may not fit each other.

Quote Originally Posted by jjloving View Post
    interesting...Finale limitation, or as the rest of your post suggests audio driver limitation?
    Finale limitation. Nobody and nothing is perfect.

Go Back to forum