• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Steinway - question

Share/Bookmark

Steinway - question

Hi Everybody,

just got the Steinway professional...what a piano!
    I rendered some of my files and...it sounds right out of the box like Pletnev at Carnagie Hall!....(oops, Troy Music Hall...).
    Hovewer there is something in the behaviour of it that caught my ears and sounds to me somehow strange. Activating the sustain resonance (realtime! which is one of the big reason why i bought the library) i hear a sort of blow when using the pedal for legato; that is, play a note, hold the pedal down, play the second one and quickly release the pedal for a short time. under some conditions i do hear that sort of blow when releasing the pedal...
    I have a midi file to explain this and a pic of a clear example (as well as the corresponding mp3..) but i cannot upload them (or i don't know how to do it...)

It is more audible in the underlid and stage perspectives and if you increase the sus resonance to higher values (try with 60).
    I thought in a first instance that was something in my setup and i wrote to garritan support address but then i realized that those "blows" are also clear in the official demos, especially in Mendelssohn.
    I start now thinking that probably it's just me and it is a realistic effect of the piano:the strings of non played notes start vibrating and releasing the pedal for a short time stops their vibration producing the sound. The problem is that now that i noticed it it's terrible because i hear it stronger and when i play the Steinway my ears are there to listen to that sound...

Any opinions about this?
    Last edited by mariobolo; 05-06-2008 at 03:14 AM. Reason: cannot display image

Re: Steinway - question

Hi Mariobolo

Not sure if your 'blow' is the same thing that's bothering me....

I'm well impressed with the Steinway sound; but using the sustain pedal and re-hitting the same notes sometimes produces a nasty twang. This is without switching on resonance.

It seems to be some conflict with the release samples. If I load without release, I don't get the problem. Frustrating, though...and not a problem I'd expected to have.

I play acoustic piano, and though I concede it's sometimes possible to get that kind of response, it's extremely rare and involved half-pedalling (which I've not even got for the electronic version).

Hi Beethoven17,

i guess your twang, if occurring without switching on resonance, is due to the release samples; if you are referring to that sort of "metallic noise" it should be the string that stops vibrating under the action of the damper. in certain conditions of half-pedal it is normal. I can hear it too (if it is ever what you are hearing) but it's occurring seldom and i find it somewaht to be realistic and pleasant.

if i just could upload a pic about my "blow" it would be very easy to reproduce because it's not random...

Quote Originally Posted by mariobolo View Post
    Hi Beethoven17,

i guess your twang, if occurring without switching on resonance, is due to the release samples; if you are referring to that sort of "metallic noise" it should be the string that stops vibrating under the action of the damper. in certain conditions of half-pedal it is normal. I can hear it too (if it is ever what you are hearing) but it's occurring seldom and i find it somewaht to be realistic and pleasant.

if i just could upload a pic about my "blow" it would be very easy to reproduce because it's not random...
    Northern Sounds doesn't host files for you, you have to use your own web space or find a free web host on the web. When you do, make sure you have no spaces in your file name, and upload them. paste the web address here using the url tool.

Re; "blow" - I don't own the Steinway, but based on listening to the demos I would guess that you are hearing the mechanical pedal noise. Try turning that down (or off).
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

same thing here, i know exactly what you are talking about, regarding that "blow"/"twang" thingy. i have never had an extended opportunity to play with a steinway, however, to know if this is perfectly realistic or not, but it definitely surprised me, i can't recall hearing that on live recordings, etc.-- I also agree it sounds like something with the release samples. But perhaps this is perfectly normal
    Sam

Hi guys-
    Thanks for the info. We've reproduced the problem with release samples playing incorrectly that can happen when a single note is played multiple times when the sustain pedal is down. We're working on the fix and will put it in the next update to the Steinway.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hurchalla View Post
    Hi guys-
    Thanks for the info. We've reproduced the problem with release samples playing incorrectly that can happen when a single note is played multiple times when the sustain pedal is down. We're working on the fix and will put it in the next update to the Steinway.
    A "we'll fix it" is always welcomed . . . but an almost-immediate "we hear you" is priceless!!! Forget Mastercard, try Garritan Support.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hurchalla View Post
    Hi guys-
    Wonderful!! - thank you!

I'm very happy with the Steinway sound (still waiting for a decent weighted keyboard to help play it properly), and felt inordinately disappointed at hearing that odd and unrealistic twang...so it's great to hear that it's going to be corrected.

the first reason why i bought the steinway is the support!
    wow thanks!

anyway i found the way to post the example:

this is my last great composition..

if you take the time to make the same you should hear the "blow" for the last 3 C's chords when the pedal is shortly depressed to obtain a legato.
    sustain resonance has to be on. it is more evident for higher values than the default 19 (try 60).
    Now i'm on the way so i cannot do more test but honestly i haven't tried to change the notes (first a C's chord then i.e. a D's chord,...and so on) but i guess the blow comes up anyway.
    I still like to say again that i'm doubtful about the realism of this effect and i don't know whether this is something that is supposed to behave like that, maybe it's just my wrong taste; the only trouble for me is that now that i noticed it i cannot play it anymore cause it's like my ears are just waiting for that noise .

Thanks again for the incredible support.

mario

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast