• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Bach Chaconne with DDSS and breath control

Share/Bookmark

Bach Chaconne with DDSS and breath control

I\'ve just gotten a breath controller(BC3A) working with the Dan Dean solo violin. I rigged up a patch using breath control for attenuation of the arco samples and velocity
    to control attenuation of a stacatto sample layer. Thus I get legato by pressing lightly on the keys. As a test I performed the Bach Chaconne for solo violin:
    http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/380/duncan_brinsmead.html

This is more or less as I played it, with a few touchups, although I did need to perform in several sections, as I kept running out of breath. I play french horn, but the chaconne was not written with breaths in mind. Also I just find that the breath controller required a fairly high level of wind to stay in the mid range of the output. It was quite exhasting.
    At any rate, I found this setup provided the control that I\'ve always been missing with sustaining instruments.

Duncan

Re: Bach Chaconne with DDSS and breath control

What kind did you get, the Yamaha one lets you adjust how much wind is allowed through it. So you can blow gently, but still create big crescendos, and not run out of breath.

I got the Yamaha BC3-A, but I lost the little end cap. I\'ve been making due with a screw, and I adjust it to block most of the flow. I think part of the problem is that I can\'t make the attenuation curve non-linear in gigasampler. I can adjust the curve on the BC3-A, but the problem is that the first few steps of controller volume from 0 to around 4 represent strong jumps, so there is a stepping effect as one fades in from zero breath. The general solution I\'ve been using is to play generally towards the upper range of the controller, which requires a fair bit of wind pressure. Ultimately what I would like is to have it respond evenly with the lightest of puffs, but I have not been able to set this up(although at this point I think it is more a giga issue than a BC3A issue). I guess part of is is also that I\'m not used to blowing when I play the piano. It makes it a much more visceral experience.

Duncan

Yea, well, I\'m a trumpet player, (first chair, might I add ) so blowing a lot of air isn\'t really a problem. But once in awhile, I\'ll see funny colors when I use the controller.

I\'ve seen stars playing french horn( on fff high C\'s) With the breath controller I\'ve had this weird problem where some of the air escapes back up my nose, creating a snorting sound( I\'ve never had this happen with the horn, although I\'ve no idea what the difference is ).

Duncan

i have a question...

does your midi keyboard have a breath controller input? or are you using a kurzweil? or just where exactly do you plug it into? i noticed it has one of those stereo jacks and i dont know where you\'d input it. i dont have one mind you but i am thinking of purchasing one but info on them seems limited.

Dude, I don\'t know about the snorting problem, but I fell outta my chair laughing at that, well done. The wind controller thing: If you have a keyboard that has an input jack that\'s specifically MADE for breath controller input, than you can get a breath controller, and plug it into that jack. And there shouldn\'t be much info on a breath controller, because all it really does is just allow you to control the volume with the amount of air you blow.

that sucks...

i have to buy a whole nother keyboard to use a breathe controller.

Hey,
    Good thing I kept my DX-7!
    Mark

Nice playing Duncan. I enjoyed it all the way through.

Take care,
    Mark

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Duncan Brinsmead:
    I\'ve just gotten a breath controller(BC3A) working with the Dan Dean solo violin. I rigged up a patch using breath control for attenuation of the arco samples and velocity
    to control attenuation of a stacatto sample layer. Thus I get legato by pressing lightly on the keys. As a test I performed the Bach Chaconne for solo violin:
    http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/380/duncan_brinsmead.html

This is more or less as I played it, with a few touchups, although I did need to perform in several sections, as I kept running out of breath. I play french horn, but the chaconne was not written with breaths in mind. Also I just find that the breath controller required a fairly high level of wind to stay in the mid range of the output. It was quite exhasting.
    At any rate, I found this setup provided the control that I\'ve always been missing with sustaining instruments.

Duncan
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Go Back to forum