• Register
  • Help

Topic: Eastern Flavors

Share/Bookmark

Eastern Flavors

Once again I have mixed a few Libraries with GPO to come up with a new piece.

In this, all of the strings are doubled with GPO solo strings and the Oboe , Clarinet are as well with the horns also using the Overlay AG.

This is my first attempt with an Eastern feel to it, but it really is just a blues tune I used to play on the guitar.

Hope you enjoy.

I did this one last night pretty quick, so I am sure there is room for improvment. So any suggestions would be helpful.

Here it is

http://www.box.net/shared/hqqdewu0ww

Thanks

Ron

Hint: If you close your eyes and get on the right jet, you will get to see the belly dancers.

Re: Eastern Flavors

Ron,

This was a blues tune?!? Wow!!! I never would have thought that. I really liked this!!! Has a very driving rhythm and force to it. I loved the Eastern feel and flavor. I could see this as part of a movie soundtrack. Only thing I noticed was it ended very abruptly. Other than that, great work, Ron!!!

Gary
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Gary

I forgot about the ending, so I went back and did a quick fix, It's not a perfect fix, but it is a little better.

I guess I should have said the underlaying bass was from a blues tune I play. The rest is just fun stuff on top.

I also see this as some kind of background for something. It is not a standalone piece, but it was fun composing it.

Thanks

Ron

What a curious admixture, Ron -- Middle Eastern, Blues;
    and a seasoning of Amerindian and Asian influences.

And this works. It's an interesting piece!

A couple of general thoughts, since you're out exploring.

Perhaps you might consider a little more variation in
    texture across the span of it. This is, I guess, more
    or less minimalistic -- catch-all term that it is; but that
    might introduce some desirable contrast into the piece.

Further, and this is said guardedly as it might "break"
    the hypnotic effect if done unsubtly -- but perhaps
    some longer term harmonic shifting across the length
    of it.

I liked this, Ron. It's a productive area for you from what
    I hear in this, that you'd do well to give further thought
    -- some elements of it might be intriguing additions to your
    more general writing lexicon.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

David

I have been considering changing the entire second half of this into a different key and changing around the instrumentation some as well, I assume that is what you meant by "some longer term harmonic shifting across the length of it."

I was just surprised at how fast this came together and posted quickly to try to get some feedback. This is by no means a finished product and I am willing to explore any suggestions that might help.

Thanks

Ron

Thumbs up Re: Eastern Flavors

Ron:
    Very hypnotic and imagery building. Great sounds and quite authentic, to my ears anyway. My only negative reaction was being distracted from my reverie when you softened and/or dropped out the ostinato, especially the drums. There is a nice open break about 2/3rds through and at the very end and those fit very well. I like David's suggestion for melodic and/or harmonic variation but being ever so careful that the "spell" is not broken.

Steve

Hi Ron,

Very much of your music has very cool trance-type elements as it is, so this just builds very effectively on that propensity. While it certainly works as a background for possibly a visual media piece, you could easily work it into something that stands strongly on its own with some of the suggestions already offered.

Combining other libraries with Garritan stuff is really working well for you, and this piece is strong evidence of that. You've got a great ear for puzzling diverse sounds and instruments together while maintaining your own style, this time with that whole "Third World Ethno"-type thing.

Great stuff, man!

Danny

Steve

It's funny you should say that I should not have quieted down the ostinato and especially the drums. I had a friend tell me I was inviting people to get a headache if I didn't tone down the drums.

Now for the confession. I did this by just recording a nice pizz line from my keyboard. I then added each of the parts in the opening sequence. I liked what I had, so I copy and pasted them to run again, at which point I just added on top. I then took that entire section and copy and pasted again and recorded more on top of that. This all started out as just an exercise to play with my new toys. I knew there were things wrong with it, but let them slide because it was just an exercise./ Then the piece took a life of its own and I started to feel the hypnotic effect it has.

If you listen closely, you will see that one of my copy and pastes did not match rythmically. I am off by a half beat. I have been going over an dover this trying to hide that the beat gets messed up. One stinking measure that I copy and pasted is not 4/4, but 3.5/ 4.

So I don't think that it is the toneing down of the ostinato that breaks the reverie as much as the loss of that half beat. I have not quite figured out how to fix this in sonar yet. I think I know how to, but it invovles me cutting things up and then who knows what kind of a mess I will create then.

Danny

I just uploaded the newest version of this. I wanted to last night, but for some reason GPO stopped working in Sonar, so this morning I deleted that synth from the synth rack and reloaded and everything works ok now. I get some weird things that happen in Sonar from time to time. Like if I am working on the controllers, say CC 11, all of a sudden some notes just appear in the piano view. I am keeping the draw tool down in the controller box, yet above there notes show up. Has this ever happened to you?

The oddest thing though, and this has only happened a couple of times, is I save and open the next day and all of a sudden an instrument is much louder than before. So I work with the CC data to correct it and then save again, open later and it is too soft. Any ideas?

Thanks guys

Ron

Ron:
    Now for the confession. I did this by just recording a nice pizz line from my keyboard. I then added each of the parts in the opening sequence. I liked what I had, so I copy and pasted them to run again, at which point I just added on top. I then took that entire section and copy and pasted again and recorded more on top of that. This all started out as just an exercise to play with my new toys.
    I understand and whole heartedly endorse the above message. If there is one outstanding advantage in writing with a computer it has to be "copy and paste."
    Steve

Steve

But as you can hear in my piece, the stupid computer isn't smart enough to not copy the mistakes in my piece. Dumb computer!!!!

After all else has failed, blame the computer.

A motto to live by.

Ron

Go Back to forum