• Register
  • Help

Topic: "From Dawn to Dusk" (A Full Orchestral Waltz in D Major)

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb "From Dawn to Dusk" (A Full Orchestral Waltz in D Major)

Hullo,

Here's a Waltz in D Major I put together in Sibelius for my friend, Katie (this is the second piece I've composed for her). She's been an emotional wreck, so she needed a cheer-up (and if you've heard the first composition I wrote for her, you know how bad that can be, considering how usually alive with energy and happy she is.)

When I was a bit more than halfway done, we planned a day out with friends. She and another friend, Kamuela, came over to my house, and I showed her what I had so far. She was utterly excited, and I had her and Kamu name it.

Obviously, they did a good job, and I based the rest of the song on their name.

So, here it is:
    http://www.box.net/shared/m02xbt1c0g

EDIT: Here's the YouTube video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mTV19Be5tI

All instruments are GPO, excluding the Wind Chimes, which are from Sibelius Essentials (Virtual Drumline).
    string quartet (ˈstriŋ kwȯr-ˈtet) n. a good violinist, a bad violinist, an ex-violinist, and someone who hates violinists, all getting together to complain about composers

Re: "From Dawn to Dusk" (A Full Orchestral Waltz in D Major)

Daniel,

Katie must be a special person. You did a great job with this. Very enjoyable to listen to. Thanks for sharing!

Gary
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Beautiful job on this, Daniel... a lovely, straight-forward
    waltz with an infectious lilting lift to it -- the kind of thing
    you find yourself humming for days after hearing... lol!

The rendering on this was also quite good; but one thing
    kept bothering me a little (could just be my old ears).
    Give a listen to this on headphones; you may just like to
    pull some of the right slightly more toward center.

Well done!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thank you for your comments!

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    The rendering on this was also quite good; but one thing
    kept bothering me a little (could just be my old ears).
    Give a listen to this on headphones; you may just like to
    pull some of the right slightly more toward center.
    David,
    I did absolutely nothing for the rendering, except reverb (which is always a given) and the volumes of each instrument, (since it's kind of messed up in playback with GPO in notation software playback...) which I bet doesn't really count. Sibelius automatically adds expression in playback, which is awesome. But it's still utterly quantized. Anyone know of a feature or plug-in that can fix that?? D:

As for the stereo, I'm listening to it right now with earbuds, and I kind of hear what you're describing, but not really. I haven't messed with the stereo; it's completely automatic. Perhaps the instruments on the right side are slightly louder?

Thanks again for you comments!
    string quartet (ˈstriŋ kwȯr-ˈtet) n. a good violinist, a bad violinist, an ex-violinist, and someone who hates violinists, all getting together to complain about composers

Well that should cheer her up for sure. Very nice job on this piece. I enjoyed it very much.

Steve Winkler

A delightful little waltz.

I see what David (Etlux) is talking about. You can go into the mixer in sibelius and move a few of the instruments more from the far right towards the center. Sibelius doesn't provide a lot that you can do with the mix, unless yuo are using Sib 5. If so, you can do a lot in the KP2 player with the mix including the pan.

Well done

Ron

Daniel,

A very original clip on Youtube. I like the generic at the end. At which rate is encoded your mp3 ?

My girlfriend, who is preparing some YouTube clips with my music, fell in love with your clip.

SergeD

Quote Originally Posted by Serge View Post
    Daniel,

A very original clip on Youtube. I like the generic at the end. At which rate is encoded your mp3 ?

My girlfriend, who is preparing some YouTube clips with my music, fell in love with your clip.

SergeD
    Thanks!

Uhm, for the YouTube, I'm using a *.wav file. For the box.net, I don't really know.

Daniel,

Lovely waltz, simple yet rich and complete. And the rendering is really quiet excellent. Thanks for sharing it here.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

A wonderful waltz, thank you for posting this.

regards,
    Dan.
    Trumpet, cornet, flugel player. Composer and student.

Go Back to forum