• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Good Advanced Sequencing books?

Share/Bookmark

OT: Good Advanced Sequencing books?

I would consider myself an advanced user of Cakewalk and other sequencers, but there is still a lot I don\'t know. Could anyone recommend some good books on sequencing techniques? Maybe even websites?

Most of the midi and sequencing books I\'ve seen deal with In\'s Out\'s and Channels and basic concepts. I\'m looking for a book that would go in depth on topics like LFO\'s and things like that.

Also, is there a book that covers making your sequences more realistic? Especially one that would give specific techniques for each instrument. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: OT: Good Advanced Sequencing books?

Quite helpful, thank you.

The Classics in Sequence book looks quite interesting, and I just happened to order the Rimsky-Korsakov book the other day.

Thanks a lot.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vertigo50:
    Quite helpful, thank you.

The Classics in Sequence book looks quite interesting, and I just happened to order the Rimsky-Korsakov book the other day.

Thanks a lot.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No problem.

Forgot to mention one more resource:
    http://users.erols.com/druben/philosophy.html

Has links to midi sequencing tips/essays as well as a linl to \"Midi Orchestration\" book, which I do not have but looks interesting.

Max

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Vertigo50:
    I would consider myself an advanced user of Cakewalk and other sequencers, but there is still a lot I don\'t know. Could anyone recommend some good books on sequencing techniques? Maybe even websites?

Most of the midi and sequencing books I\'ve seen deal with In\'s Out\'s and Channels and basic concepts. I\'m looking for a book that would go in depth on topics like LFO\'s and things like that.

Also, is there a book that covers making your sequences more realistic? Especially one that would give specific techniques for each instrument. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Two books dedicated to sequencing and classical/popular music arranging:

- Classics in Sequence, Loyd & Terry
    - Arranging Techniques for Synthesists, by Turkel

I got these at a used bookstore, so not sure if they are still in print.

If you are looking for info on making \"classical\" sequences more realistic, take a look at orchestration books as they provide insight into articulation styles of instruments, their musical ranges, etc.

Two such books that I would recommend:

- The Techniques of Orchestration, Kent Wheeler Kennan
    - Principles of Orchestration, Rimsky-Karsikov

Hope this helps,

Max

Go Back to forum