• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Anybody using Yamaha Digital Pianos?

Share/Bookmark

Anybody using Yamaha Digital Pianos?

I need a new 88 Key controller. It needs to have a decent action and, preferably, a 3 pedal array. I'm seriously considering one of the Yamaha digital pianos as they have both internal piano sound (so I can fire it up and practice/play) and Midi i/o so I can control my GS. Funds are limited but with the Economic Stimulus Rebate this may be the time to do this. I would appreciate any good advice and TIA.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky
    Personally, I'm waiting for caller IQ.

Re: Anybody using Yamaha Digital Pianos?

I have an older p60 and like the feel, but I don't use it as a controller because it doesn't have mod or pitch bend wheels.

Perhaps the newer ones do?
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by klassical View Post
    I have an older p60 and like the feel, but I don't use it as a controller because it doesn't have mod or pitch bend wheels.

Perhaps the newer ones do?
    But . . . with ARIA you don't need mod wheel control and I can hold off my KP2 projects until the GPO, JABB, and CoMB libraries are ported into ARIA. At least, that's what my thinking is. Am I wrong?
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky

Hello, You might also want to look at Kawai digital pianos. They get some pretty good reviews for their keyboard action. One other alternative would be adding the CME pedal to a setup if you can't find a piano with the 3 pedal array. Mine cost $99, it can be used with the USB connection to your computer, or it has MIDI in and out, and the standard jack connectors as well. John

Quote Originally Posted by bigears View Post
    Hello, You might also want to look at Kawai digital pianos. They get some pretty good reviews for their keyboard action. One other alternative would be adding the CME pedal to a setup if you can't find a piano with the 3 pedal array. Mine cost $99, it can be used with the USB connection to your computer, or it has MIDI in and out, and the standard jack connectors as well. John
    I have considered that, John but it seems that no one has them in stock. OTOH, my 14 year old Fatar Studio 88 Plus is showing some aging signs: dirty, scratchy mod wheel, uneven response on some keys in the higher treble range. Plus, I have the itch for "something new." I know, I know. That's not a valid reason but I can justify it as a birthday present for later this month.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky

I have a Yamaha Clavinova CLP-240. It has Graded Hammer Touch (they call it GH3). Heavier touch on the bass side becoming progressively lighter towards the right. Comparing to other digital pianos like Roland and Kawai, this one has a heavier touch.

There are three pedals, with a sustain pedal capable of half-pedalling (not just an on off switch).

The internal sounds are quite acceptable to me, although I most often fire up my Ivory, TBO, Black Grand, or Akoustik Piano. When I'm really in a hurry, I use the internal sounds.

I thought I had a really nice digital piano, until I tried a used GranTouch GT-1. The touch really feels like a grand piano's. Now, I want to sell my CLP-240 and get one of those GranTouch, even if used.

I'm a Yamaha fan. I've had a Clavinova CLP-360 since 1992 (!) and it's still doing fine as a general instrument: I also have a P-60 that I bought a couple of years ago specifically for PC recording and which is stunningly good. No mod/pitch-bend, mind you. I have one pedal on the P-60 - I don't know if it supports a 3-pedal arrangement, but as it's plug-and-play (literally) it might. If you have a light touch, the Yamahas will give you muscles on your fingers: you need to be quite firm to get the best out of them. If you haven't done so already, find yourself a decent piano-shop with a range on display and play them all !

I guess that one question I really would like to have answered before I make the plunge is if the Yamaha Digitals with 3 pedals send all of the pedal info via Midi or are the pedals just working with the internal amp. If the pedal info is indeed transmitted via Midi then I'm about 90% good to go. I have read that the damper pedal on these 3 pedal Yamaha's does support half-pedaling. How much of a true half-pedal is there I can't tell.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by Jaybee View Post
    . . . with ARIA you don't need mod wheel control
    Where did you hear that? I have heard no such info. The only lib using ARIA right now is the Steinway which is entirely velocity based just like a real piano.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
    Where did you hear that? I have heard no such info. The only lib using ARIA right now is the Steinway which is entirely velocity based just like a real piano.
    I didn't hear it anywhere, Craig. However, in reading everything I can find about the ARIA player there is nothing which references needing to use a mod wheel. Thus my deduction. If I am wrong than I apologize. I suppose David or Gary can either confirm or not.
    Jerry
    Dayton, Kentucky

Go Back to forum