• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Windows XP Pro SP3 now ready!

Share/Bookmark

OT: Windows XP Pro SP3 now ready!

Just a few questions...

1. Has anyone attempted this yet?

2. Has anyone heard about SP3 being installed and how well it is running.

3. Does anyone want to take a chance that Kontakt Player will or will not work under Windows XP SP3?
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Thumbs down Re: OT: Windows XP Pro SP3 now ready!

Ha! Microsoft ... !
    Styxx

Re: OT: Windows XP Pro SP3 now ready!

This has been discussed a few times on the Cakewalk/Sonar forum. A number of people have reported that they're getting better audio performance!

However, IMHO it's always a good idea to wait a few months before updating an OS (or anything else) to see if people are reporting problems.
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by RichR View Post
    Just a few questions...

1. Has anyone attempted this yet?

2. Has anyone heard about SP3 being installed and how well it is running.

3. Does anyone want to take a chance that Kontakt Player will or will not work under Windows XP SP3?
    One man's trash is another man's treasure.

I've been an M$ beta tester since dirt was invented. I've had the good, the bad, and the ugly. I've tested on an array of machines, some networked and some standalone.

Others have no doubt had terrible experiences. In the case of XP SP3 I've had absolutely no glitches. I ran the original RC versions through the release versions without problems.

Kontakt Player 2 works as well as it ever did (), and the full version of Kontakt 2 works (is running right now on this machine as I type).

As always, a good backup is worth its weight in 97 octane.

My testing shows that SP3 increases performance significantly. I won't bore you with numbers because they are often machine and configuration dependent.

Hope this helps.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jmpaquette View Post

My testing shows that SP3 increases performance significantly. I won't bore you with numbers because they are often machine and configuration dependent.

Hope this helps.

Joe

The numbers are all that matter to some so please ... bore us to death in the style of http://www.dawbench.com/

I'm sure there will be many that want to know.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl View Post
    The numbers are all that matter to some so please ... bore us to death in the style of http://www.dawbench.com/

Thanks,

+1 I would like to see the numbers as well.

Would also love to see if this helps with latency when playing with softsynths. I installed the final release candidate for kicks and tried out for a couple of days with no problems. I reverted back just to wait for the final version to be released. I've been following the info over at the Sonar forums and am very interested in the claims regarding better performance.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_Karl View Post

Thanks,
    Will get back to you on this. I'll try to do a rollback this weekend and log the numbers. I might not be using the same suite as S.O.S. is using, but I'll try to test with something you can use to duplicate. [Edit: I see that the benchmarks are P.D., so I just downloaded them.]

I've also been following the mixed results on the Sonar forum - but I just listen.

An interesting anecdotal "report" is that on my slowest machine (an AMD @ 1.8 gig) the dropouts from a single soft synth disappear under SP3.

Ever on the bleeding edge, I remain . . .

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by jmpaquette View Post

Ever on the bleeding edge, I remain . . .

Joe
    You're a man of incredible courage, Joe... rofl!

With admiration,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum