• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: SIR Reverb

Share/Bookmark

SIR Reverb

I have been on the SIR web page and very interested in the product. Anybody using it? If so, how is it? Or should I go with Altiverb. Many Thanks in advance. Joseph.

Re: SIR Reverb

Isn't that kinda like asking whether you should get a Volkswagen Jetta or a Rolls Royce?

Honestly, though, the defining characteristic of a convolution, besides how much it taxes the CPU, is what impulses it comes with.

Altiverb comes with spades of impulses that are well worth the purchase price. They are real places - not just "medium recording studio". The Todd-AO scoring stage impulse with Altiverb just makes string sections come alive. Plus any new impulses that Audio Ease releases (which happens all the time) are available for download for free for registered Altiverb users. The placement options in Altiverb are also excellent.

If you have the $$, I would say go for Altiverb. If you want a less expensive but still good solution, consider Voxengo Pristine Space.

Altiverb and SIR differ mainly in the fact that Altiverb comes with a huge library of Impulses... So when you buy Altiverb, you are buying a library that keeps on growing (and I think the updates are free)...

Now, it all comes down to your needs... Do you need IR of phonebooths, interior of cars, and kitchens?... Do you do post-production work for TV or movies?... You might only need a good room, a concert hall or a church...

Personnaly, I wanted ease of use and a handful of very good IR that I could trust. I know that huge libraries won't make me more productive, and I don't want to scroll for hours to find what I want... So I bought SIR2 along with the HDIR package, and I'm very happy with it!... To make sure I could cover all the basics, I also bought the two volumes of Samplicity IR.

I really like the convenient browser in SIR2, and it's very easy to get going : just adjust the predelay, redraw the enveloppe to your liking, and EQ the Impulse if you want more focus... All your settings can be easily saved in .sir format...

I could have bought Pristine Space as well to achieve the same results, but I kind of like the clean interface of SIR2, and the CPU usage is quite low...

I admit that I would buy Altiverb if I had the money...

I had a budget for the Altiverb, but I went for SIR2+HDIR (for the remaining budget I have purchased the Solo Strings 1 from VSL).

Personally I have removed any free not free effects, effect libraries, softsynth from my DAW what I did not use/do not use.
    Today I have a limited set-up and I do much more music (releasing CDs) - instead of downloading/updating/going through presets...

So, for me and my orchestral work the few good modified presets from SIR2 are OK.

trif.

Thanks a bunch everybody. I think I can fit Altiverb in my budget in the next month or so. I just recieved my VSL App. strings today and my Waves plugins seem to be doing the job so far. My concern was Altiverb for the VSL library, guess it is not so...They sound great with what I have...So I will just enjoy what I have for now. Thanks, Again.

Very interesting thread! I have droped SIR, mainly because the latency issue, so you cant play in realtime. I have been looking about any other free convolution reverb and found one called "Revolverb", with some nice reviews over diffrent forums, included KVR.

This is the home page of it:
    http://revolverb.hostrocket.com/

it´s a beta, but it worked nice in my machine.
    Edit: Looking the date, is an OLD beta. Even that, if you need a free convolver that works in realtime, you can give it a try.
    Marcelo Colina

SIR 2 has no latency at all... It's not the same as the old SIR, that was free...

Robobino,
    Could you please elaborate the EQ settings in SIR2?
    trif.

It's easy, you just click to add new break points, and then you drag up and down to sculpt your own curve. You then EQ the wet signal, leaving the dry signal intact.

Now, every single Impulse Response is different, since it's a snapshot of a particular place... Some are dark, other are bright, so you can't make a universal EQ setting that will work with every IR. Just like choosing a sampled instrument that will fit your needs for a particular piece of music, you should choose an IR that will have the characteristics that you are looking for right from the start... Since I want simplicity, I will always choose an IR that colors the sound the way I want, then I will just adjust the dry/wet balance, and maybe redraw the tail... I will use the EQ only if I want to remove some of the mud in the lower frequencies. If you have a nice melodic line in the lower register and the reverb blurs it to much, EQ the offender (the reverb), not the original signal...

But that's just for traditional music, if you use IR for sound design purposes, that's a whole different game...

Robobino, Thanks.

When I use SIR2,my dry signal is always OFF. By default the wet signal fader is at -20dB - I have to move this up to get "enough" reverb - am I doing something wrong, or this is normal?

trif.

Go Back to forum