• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Melody Cards

Share/Bookmark

Lightbulb OT: Melody Cards

I now present my very own invention... *drumroll*...

Melody cards!!! *cymbal crash*

For some reason, all my melody ideas hit me when I have no access to a computer, blank sheet music, tape recorder, ANYTHING ('scept occasionally a post-it, which is really annoying to write staff lines on or the rhythms and note names and everything...). Soew, I gots these wallet-sized cards with staff lines on both sides for when I'm outside. Whatchy'all think?
    string quartet (ˈstriŋ kwȯr-ˈtet) n. a good violinist, a bad violinist, an ex-violinist, and someone who hates violinists, all getting together to complain about composers

Re: OT: Melody Cards

Nice. I once tried to print out staves on 3x5 cards (but my printer couldn't handle it) for the same use.

If you want to get fancy, you could make a cardboard cover (& back) and bind them all together with some kind of stationary clip.

You could also put a single punch hole in each sheet and use a single binder ring. That way they would stay together and you could easily flip to whatever page you wanted.

Neither of these would fit in your wallet, but they should still fit in your shirt or back pocket.
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

What are all those lines for?

Quote Originally Posted by DDW View Post
    What are all those lines for?
    Well, duh!! They're obviously barcodes. Clearly the invention is that, once you've thought of a melody, you hum it at the card, which instantly stores it (in a new proprietary compression format), and the barcode is then used to catalogue your melody-bank.
    David

Yudit

Those look handy! Except I would need that portable Yamaha keyboard notebook thing, because when a melody pops into my head and I don't have a keyboard, I'm usually too stupid to figure out how to notate it... I used to record melodies to my cell phone, but I filled up the memory with melodies and haven't used any of them yet...
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Check this out

Lately I don't leave home without it....
    Trent P. McDonald

The Moleskin book is available here in UK too, Ive had one for some years now, its very useful and small

Sorry but theres nothing new under the sun

I'd love one of those pocket music notebooks, but... yikes, more than $10?! I don't think so...
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by SeanHannifin View Post
    I'd love one of those pocket music notebooks, but... yikes, more than $10?! I don't think so...
    A bit pricy, yes, but very high quality. If you fill one of these every year, that’s about a dollar a month – not bad for something that has the potential of revolutionizing your music.

Since I started using one of these in November, everything I have posted here (sonata, preludes, art song, etc.) began life on the pages of my moleskin. I still lose 95% of the music I hear in my head, but that is better than the 99.999% I was losing in the past…..
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum