• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO, JABB, Steinway Musical Theatre

Share/Bookmark

Musical Theatre Fans?

Hi all,

I'm married to a High School Theatre teacher, so of course, that means I'm conscripted every year to provide accompaniment for her musicals. This year, they did "Annie", and I sequenced the entire score into Logic, bounced down the aif files, and triggered them, while playing the piano part live.

I thought I'd throw one of the songs up on the board, as I was pretty pleased with the sound I got out of GPO and JABB.

I Don't Need Anything But You.

Let me add two caveats:

1. The first 53-55 seconds is underscore, during a scene change and dialogue. That's why it doesn't really sound too interesting.

2. Obviously, it's supposed to be sung, so rather than adding vocals, I called up the Garritan Steinway (under lid, no soft pedal) and tried to "fill in the gaps" with some melody, where there really should be vocals.

Again, any and all comments, and especially critiques are welcome. Thanks,

Tom

p.s. if any of you have struggled with using tracks in musical theatre, I have fallen in love with a program called Qlab. I'll just say that in over 20 years of playing for shows, this program has been the answer to the problems I've run into!!

Re: GPO, JABB, Steinway Musical Theatre

Sounds good. A few comments. A few times it almost seemed like the amount of reverb changed on the fly, or that different instrument groups had different amounts. Maybe in an auditorium it wouldn’t be noticeable.

Quick question – was the piano in there for reference or as part of the track? Near the beginning the piano does a few weird things – there seems to be a wrong note, which is OK, but there are a few notes that seem to be strangely clipped giving it a weird artificial sound. Later it calms down and the piano sounds fine through the rest of it. Except - most of the differences I hear in reverb are compared to the piano, which more often than the other instruments seems to be in its own space.

Except for those few things I pointed out, all of the other instruments sound great – I’m sure nobody in the audience would guess they were recorded using virtual instruments.
    Trent P. McDonald

Nice work Tom. Very enjoyable. Brought back memories of playing in my high school orchestra when we did Roar of the Greasepaint, Smell of the Crowd.

Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd View Post
    Sounds good. A few comments. A few times it almost seemed like the amount of reverb changed on the fly, or that different instrument groups had different amounts. Maybe in an auditorium it wouldn’t be noticeable.

Quick question – was the piano in there for reference or as part of the track? Near the beginning the piano does a few weird things – there seems to be a wrong note, which is OK, but there are a few notes that seem to be strangely clipped giving it a weird artificial sound. Later it calms down and the piano sounds fine through the rest of it. Except - most of the differences I hear in reverb are compared to the piano, which more often than the other instruments seems to be in its own space.
    Trent,
    You have good ears! I'll try to remain brief. As I looked back at the Logic file, I noticed that I did have two reverbs running. I had my 18 or so tracks running to three busses: rhythm, brass/ww, and strings. And my string buss ended up with a different reverb than the others.

As to the piano, it wasn't originally part of the track. I played the piano part live for the show. At first, I was going to post up without any piano, but it sounded kind of empty (like a karaoke track ), so I threw that piano part in at the last minute. The scores have already been returned, so I basically played it from memory, with the exception of having the piano take the lead as far as melody is concerned. So there are a few "alterations to the composer's intent" (fancy way of saying 'mistake'), and I did notice a couple of times where the piano part got clipped in the bouncing process.

Thanks for giving it a listen.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by valhalx View Post
    Nice work Tom. Very enjoyable. Brought back memories of playing in my high school orchestra when we did Roar of the Greasepaint, Smell of the Crowd.

Bill
    Thanks, Bill. Unfortunately, the term "high school orchestra" is almost a misnomer these days. Some of my best memories are playing in the "pit" for our high school shows. I'd love to do my wife's musicals live, but the students just aren't there anymore. And the ones that have the chops are busy with 5 other after-school activities. Which is sad.

Tom

Tom,

Great production of this musical, yes it is a computer render but entirely believable with these great Garritan products. Thanks for sharing it here.

Fortunately out high school has the talent use their outstanding musicially gifted students for live pit orchestra. It is a competive situation with more students than are needed for the pit and the backups.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Wow. Tom, the GPO and JABB work in this is really
    on the mark... superbly well done. There are parts
    of this, it'd darned near fool me.

Or maybe it did.

Very well done!

My apologies for not getting to this sooner; a real
    pleasure.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Fortunately out high school has the talent use their outstanding musicially gifted students for live pit orchestra. It is a competive situation with more students than are needed for the pit and the backups.

Wow, Gary that is such a great situation to be in. Here in California, music is either dead, or hanging on by a thread. It's a sad, sad situation, and it's getting more and more absurd.

Wow. Tom, the GPO and JABB work in this is really
    on the mark... superbly well done. There are parts
    of this, it'd darned near fool me.

Thanks, David. Coming from you, I'll definitely take the compliment. The thing I find about the Garritan instruments is how well they all just seem to "sit" in the mix. I find I have to do very little tweaking once I've recorded the individual performances. Obviously, I could (and should) spend more time with levels, eq, etc., but just out of the chute, they sound pretty darned good all on their own.

Tom

Go Back to forum