• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New Age Dreams

Share/Bookmark

New Age Dreams

This piece is completely written as a memory of a piece I heard in a dream the other night. I woke up 3 or 4 times saying to myself that I must remember it and write it down when I get up in the morning. Morning was yesterday and I spent the day notating this and the evening sequencing it. The final touches were put on it today. I have never had a piece of music flow from my mind to notation as easily or quickly as this one.
    Please feel free to tell me whether it should have just stayed a dream or not.
    This features the GPO Trumpet Solo 1 and Piccolo Trumpet NV as well as the GPO Steinway. I have the PianoTeq mixed in as well but it is the demo version and is missing a few notes (by design for the demo). It is the closest sound I have to the wonderful Garritan Authorized Steinway.

For your listening, I give you:

New Age Dreams
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Thumbs up Re: New Age Dreams

RichR:
    Very, very nice. First class melody, harmonies, form and scoring. We need someone to invent a computer attachment that you can wear while sleeping so that these dream inspired treasures will be finished and waiting for you when you awaken. A second thanks for giving the brass section a nod.

Steve (sos)

Re: New Age Dreams

Rich

I must say I am jealous. I have heard entire symphonies in my dreams and by the time I get to trying to compose them, the memory of the dream is gone.

Perhaps the ideas show up and I just don't realize it.

It sounds like you also want the new Steinway. I hope to get it next month.

As to your question about whether or not it should have stayed in the dream, absolutely not. A wonderful little piece.

Ron

I guess some things are worth waking up for. Usually when I hear music in my head I can never come even close to realizing it.

Sounds great to me, so my vote is it is better to have been made into reality instead of staying a dream.
    Trent P. McDonald

You guys must not be trumpet players. I love it also, and thanks to RichR I have the score. Now I am practicing it to record for him - it's a beasty. It must have been a lulu of a nightmare! Nice dream RichR.
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Quote Originally Posted by wrayer View Post
    You guys must not be trumpet players. I love it also, and thanks to RichR I have the score. Now I am practicing it to record for him - it's a beasty. It must have been a lulu of a nightmare! Nice dream RichR.
    Actually, I am a trumpet player, or was - I took it back up a few years ago but had to drop it because my parrot screamed non-stop whenever I played unless I had a harmon mute on it. If there were issues with the performance, oh well, I was listening to the composition.
    Trent P. McDonald

Hi Rich,

Nice work here. Do you go to Italy in your dreams? Seems Italian to me, lol. Like a day spent in Sicily. Loved the writing and rendering.

Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd View Post
    Actually, I am a trumpet player, or was - I took it back up a few years ago but had to drop it because my parrot screamed non-stop whenever I played unless I had a harmon mute on it. If there were issues with the performance, oh well, I was listening to the composition.
    No issues, I've played it. It is fun but very taxing! It is a great composition.
    We dream to write and we write to dream.

Challenge #10 Winner

Hi Rich,

It really is great that you succeeded in realizing what you heard in your dream! It usually is so elusive... (sigh)...
    It sounds as if you were remembering something from your past, from a place you have been too. The melody has some unusual features which give this a special flavor.
    Thanks for sharing this with us.

Yudit

sosmus said:

We need someone to invent a computer attachment that you can wear while sleeping so that these dream inspired treasures will be finished and waiting for you when you awaken.
    Wouldn't that be great! I have a feeling that most dreams would only have sketchy mental images with no substance but just an impression of an idea. However, in this case, the image was so complete that writing this was a if I had such a device hooked up already. The fear at writing something like this and so easily is that it is really not original but a deep seeded memory. I certainly hope it is original.

Thanks for your comments, after all I am an equal opportunity instrumentalist exploiter. LOL
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast