• Register
  • Help

Topic: how many master reverb is necessary for orchestra

Share/Bookmark

how many master reverb is necessary for orchestra

Sure, there are many way to implement reverb into a mix.
    Currently I use with VSL one MASTER reverb (as FX), for all the instruments this master reverb is set as pre-fader.

My question is for symphonic/orchestral work:
    How many MASTER reverb should I use?
    Or should I use only one? Pre-fader? Post fader? What should I sue for solo instruments (probably post fader)?

Any elaborative help, or comment is welcome.
    trif.

Re: how many master reverb is necessary for orchestra

Hi Trif,

I created an audio mixing tutorial for Gary Garritan's website quite some time ago. It does not go into a lot of detail, but does have some good advice for sample library users who are unsure of some mixing techniques, as well as some audio jargon

I hope it is helpful for you. It explains pre and post sends for reverb too.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN View Post
    Hi Trif,

I created an audio mixing tutorial for Gary Garritan's website quite some time ago. It does not go into a lot of detail, but does have some good advice for sample library users who are unsure of some mixing techniques, as well as some audio jargon

I hope it is helpful for you. It explains pre and post sends for reverb too.

Dan
    This is Dan, always helpfull!

Dan, when I read the first post here I wanted to add the link you did!

My friend, hope all is great!

My best,
    Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Hi Dan - nice article there. Nice to see people like you taking the time to help out others.

I have a Q about something, tho:

"I read about people who are trying to "convert" their midi tracks into audio. That is just not possible."

Huh???

thank you Gunther... I trust you are doing great too!

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Hayat View Post

I have a Q about something, tho:

"I read about people who are trying to "convert" their midi tracks into audio. That is just not possible."

Huh???
    What I meant by that is this....

as an example, it is indeed possible to convert a wav file or aif file to an MP3 since both are audio files.

A midi file or midi track is just computer "jibberish" data.

By itself, the midi track makes no sound at all. Just like an old paper player piano roll, the piano roll would represent the notes that are to be played in a midi track/file. Without the roll connected to a piano, it makes no sound.

So, a midi file or midi track therefore can not be converted into any kind of audio file. It has to be assigned or "connected to" a sound producing device such as a synthesizer or sample player. The synth or sample player would accept the midi date "notes" and produce sound from them, that sound of course could then be recorded as audio, since that's what it is.

Some developers of DAW software, provide a lazy man's way of "converting" midi to audio. It is a feature that is usually called bouncing or freezing a track. Basically, the software creates an audio track, and makes the necessary connections to the sound that you want, and makes an audio recording.

I hope that makes more sense.
    Always glad to help!
    Dan

Hi Dan,
    Thanks for the nice tutorial! Nice Job!!!

Trif.

Go Back to forum