• Register
  • Help

Topic: Horror Movie Scores

Horror Movie Scores

Hey Everyone-
    I was just listening to some creepy music and was curious what all of you think are the best horror movie scores of all time.
    Let\'s start a list!!

Re: Horror Movie Scores

13th Warrior... *shiver* horrorable.

Bram Stokers Dracula by, Wojciech Kilar.

I\'ve got to agree with Dracula. Beautiful work, but I don\'t know if it can really count. Not many horror movies have such moments of longing and themes of love permitting that kind of writing. Friday the 13th part XXXI really doesn\'t leave alot of room for that kind of writing

In that category I\'d have to say Jaws. Rampant suspense that still works to this day.

Rosemary\'s Baby and the Goldsmith Omen trilogy.
    Jaws II gets a 3rd place.

Nova Scotia, Canada

Yes, Wojciech Kilar covered the spectrum with that score, from ominous foreboding power to the serpentine chromatic lines in the \"love eternal\" renderings, so effectively conjuring the element of yearning and the \"love never dies\" theme. This was as close to Wagnerian angst and passion you\'ll get in this age of formula movie music. The guy had his own vision, and the guts to explore some psychological territory for a change.

What\'s maddening is the lack of acknowledgement of this score in the various film score mags and on the web. An absolute classic, although, in contrast, I feel that he blew it bad with Ninth Gate.

\"themes of love permitting that kind of writing\"

Yes, but the peice has a very haunting underscore to it. The violins are dripping with love but, fear at the same time.

The main theme... I was frightend after the first 3 notes

[This message has been edited by Francis Belardino (edited 03-18-2002).]

mmmmmmmm...brom stoker\'s dracula score.
    I wasn\'t a huge fan of the movie (although it\'s been a number of years since I\'ve seen it.) but the score was fan-damn-tastic..

Dracula\'s score was amazing, and it is incredible that it doesn\'t get the recognition deserved.
    I personally like Herrmann\'s Psycho.
    How about Halloween? Very simple, but very effective, and it works beautifully with the Halloween movies. I know John Carpenter isn\'t Mozart but still...

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Thomas_J:
    Rosemary\'s Baby <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really? What do you like about it?

Go Back to forum