• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Debussy: Golliwog's Cakewalk-Garritan Authorized Steinway

Share/Bookmark

Debussy: Golliwog's Cakewalk-Garritan Authorized Steinway

Here's a performance of Debussy's Golliwog's Cakewalk from Children's Corner as played on the Garritan Authorized Steinway.

This one was easy enough that I actually played it at the keyboard, though the the recording is a few performances pasted together.

http://allhands.com/gpo/golliwog.mp3
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Talking Re: Debussy: Golliwog's Cakewalk-Garritan Authorized Steinway

I love this piece! And the rendering
    sound great in my ears
    The Steinway is simply awesome!
    Regards Danial Zainali
    ___
    Reinvent powdered wigs!

Re: Debussy: Golliwog's Cakewalk-Garritan Authorized Steinway

This is one of my favorite pieces, though I can’t help but hearing the Tomita version in my mind every time I listen to it. You did a great performance and the Steinway sounds terrific.
    Trent P. McDonald

Very nice performance, Jamie. The reverb on this is especially nice. One of the selling points of Steinway is that each one is different. I like how people are fine tuning their reverb / rendering to their own taste yet the Garritan Steinway shines in all of them.

Would love to hear more of your playing.

Bill
    Never look at the trombones. It only encourages them. Richard Strauss

My Website
    Beethoven's Eroica
    Antonio Salieri
    The History of Studebaker

Great performance. This is a catchy little work, subtle in every way and the Garritan Steinway makes it sound sooooooo good!

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Thank you all for the comments. I'd love to share with you the story of when I fell in love with this piece.

In 1980, when I was 16, I was invited to Bulgaria to participate in the International Children's Music Festival in Sofia. There were children from all around the world participating, but one really stands out in my memory almost 30 years later.

At a concert performance of several festival participants, a girl of five from Russia played this work in front of a large audience. She came out on stage in a little dress, and went straight to the piano. The first thing she did was crank up the bench quite a bit to get a good seating position. Next, she pulled out a white handkerchief, and proceded to dust off the keys of the piano, being careful not to produce any sound in the process. The audience responded with a chuckle.

Then she climbed up onto the bench and began playing the piece from memory. I sat in complete awe and wonder at this little girl as she bounced up and down on the seat in time to the music. Her feet were just barely able to stretch down to the pedals. She played with a stern look of concentration on her face, and with great wit and passion in her fingers. Every single note was precisely placed, and the depth of musicality that poured out of her was so mature, so greatly beyond her years, that I was dumbstruck.

To this day, I have never heard a performance of Golliwog's Cakewalk that could touch that one. Absolutely marvelous!

She would be 33 now. Perhaps she grew up to be somebody famous. Unfortunately, I don't remember her name.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Gosh, I haven't heard this piece in ages, Jamie... barely
    remember it. Wonderful job on it! The subtleties of the
    performance are much appreciated, by the way...

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Jamie,

You did a beautiful job with this. I am so accustomed to the orchestrated version of this piece and was pleasantly surprised to hear the original piano rendition.

Thanks for sharing the story of your first experience with this piece. No wonder your so talented having participated at an International Children's Festival at an early age. That explains some of it.

Thanks for posting this gem.

Best,

Gary

PS: I wonder if this piece inspired Cakewalk (the sequencer company)

Thanks, David and Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post
    Jamie,You did a beautiful job with this. I am so accustomed to the orchestrated version of this piece and was pleasantly surprised to hear the original piano rendition.
    I am not familiar with the orchestral version at all, but have heard a wonderful version for violin and piano.

Thanks for sharing the story of your first experience with this piece. No wonder your so talented having participated at an International Children's Festival at an early age. That explains some of it.
    I honestly felt out-gunned by much younger children while at this festival. True, most were performers, and I only met one other composer, but I was also the oldest participant at the ripe old age of 16!

Being in Bulgaria before the fall of the iron curtain was a wonderful and terrifying thing. I was the only American participant, and was staying with my Chaperone, Maestro Lyn McLain who founded the DC Youth Orchestra Program in 1960. We stayed in "Student City" with all of the other participants, and there was barbed wire around it, and guards carrying machine guns. A pretty impressive sight for kids to have to see every day.

The scariest part was when we missed our connecting flight, and landed late in Bulgaria, only to have our passports taken away for an hour or two. Nobody could tell us what was going on at the time because nobody there spoke English.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Excellent playing, Jamie and it sounds great
    on the new GAS................

I think, probably, that a lot of people who haven't
    heard this piece would not classify it as Debussy.
    It sounds so much more modern, especially near
    the ending......

Great work, Jamie

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast