• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Vienna SE 1st impressions

Share/Bookmark

Vienna SE 1st impressions

I have been salivating over the Vienna libs from the moment they came out. Always seemed like the Rolls Royce of orchestral libs to me. I have been using EWQL Gold and Gold Pro XP over the past few years and really like it but...

...Vienna SE is fantastic. The player is just spot on. The most intuitive and logical player I have encountered. I have a legato string patch coupled with a portamento (finally I have portamento!). The portamento is triggered by velocity and sounds delicious. Once you experience true legato it is murder to go back. Again this is all my humble opinion from a newbie to Vienna but 1st impression is lovely. You also get a trial period of the expanded set which includes the Appasionatta strings, the saxes, guitars, etc. All sounds great. Perhaps I will still use Gold for the french horns. The horns in Vienna are a tad weak (again IMHO) but the epic horns in the trial expanded set sound big and warm. It looks like I'll be buying the expanded set when I get the cash. All in all, if you are looking for a great orchestral lib for around 1k I would highly recommend checking out the Vienna SE with the expanded set.

Two thumbs up for Herb and Christian and the rest of the team!

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Re: Vienna SE 1st impressions

it looks like I'll be buying the expanded set when I get the cash.
    The expanded set looks like a no brainer to me with Epic horns etc..

Good for you BTW.

That is good to know. I just recieved my App. Strings, and they are just fantastic. I will be going for the SE Friday. I agree with you on the player. Well done.

Seconded! I have long regarded Vienna as one of the nicest sounding libraries out there, and am really excited to add SE to my arsenal. I was concerned that Vienna would be really complicated to use and I would get frustrated. But the player is really elegant and it makes setting up custom presets really easy.

Overall I really like the library, although I would have traded the basset horn for a contrabass clarinet, but since they are working on the ability to purchase single instruments, problem solved.

I reviewed this package in Film Music Weekly. As I'm fortunate enought to have the Cube, I have a couple of observations.

First, the extended edition enables you to do a lot of music in different styles then we normally talk about on the forums. For example, if you wanted to score an ensemble similar to Bach's orchestration for the St. Matthew's Passion, you can do it with SE. The saxes are strong enough to both pull off conventional sections, along with Glenn Miller, the Woody Herman Herd and Super Sax. You can also do small groups like tpt-alt-ten-bone-bari.

My second observation regards the Appassionata Strings. I have this library and I also reviewed them for FMW. At this writing, I still think Appassionata are *the* workhorse strings, especially if you're looking or wanting the larger concert/Hollywood sound. So if you like what you're hearing with the extended edition, then seriously consider Appassionata I as your next Vienna purchase as SE + App 1 are a strong combination.

To this you might consider getting their String Bass which gives you the option of creating more pop oriented "Sarah Brightman" type arrangements if you're working with singers.
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

Peter, I could not agree with you more on the App strings. They are lovely. I am going to start little by little with the upgrade path, since I own quite of bit of the Horizon series and the Pro edition strings in Giga format.

Quote Originally Posted by mech289 View Post
    Peter, I could not agree with you more on the App strings. They are lovely. I am going to start little by little with the upgrade path, since I own quite of bit of the Horizon series and the Pro edition strings in Giga format.
    You may want to move quickly-the upgrade path changes May 15th I think, check the website,

Paul

Quote Originally Posted by pcor View Post
    You may want to move quickly-the upgrade path changes May 15th I think, check the website,

Paul
    Thanks Paul, I know the prices go up a bit due to the American dollar, but I could be mistaken, I think I have till July 15th.

Quote Originally Posted by mech289 View Post
    Thanks Paul, I know the prices go up a bit due to the American dollar, but I could be mistaken, I think I have till July 15th.
    May 15th is the deadline for the price increase. July 15th is a separate deal.
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

Hi.. I'm really interested in Vienna SE too, could someone comment about it from the resource view? Is it processor and memory hungry?
    If I only need legato + portamento across Violin1, 2, Viola, Cello, and DoubleBass, how much memory should I expect to see?
    Thanks

Go Back to forum