• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Why Kontakt and not Gigastudio?

Share/Bookmark

Why Kontakt and not Gigastudio?

I'm asking this as a rhetorical question, and not with a hint of bias. I've been wondering this an awful long time since acquiring JABB in the middle of last year. For a number of years I had used Gigastudio and just assumed it would be the de facto leader in Sample usage. But for reasons I hadn't heard, why did Garritan and seemingly all the other sample industry designers go with Kontakt over Gigastudio? The reason I would have thought Gigastudio would lead in the market still is because somehow they manage to use hard disk for its RAM like Kontakt uses RAM, right? Whereas I just bought 8 gigs of RAM for $140, you can get a huge hard disk for that price. I'm not trying to answer my own question but is it because with Gigastudio you didn't have the midi controller options like you do with Kontakt (i.e. JABB)?

The reason all this is coming up, if it seems suddenly, is that NI seems a little behind adopting the 64bit platform (unless someone can give me an encouraging word otherwise, which would be deeply appreciated) whereas all the other companies I use (not Gigastudio presently...) have. 64 bit seems an awfully neat way to go. I'm building a system to do this as I write. Just curious as to why Gigastudio seems to have fallen behind the times is all.

Rich

Re: Why Kontakt and not Gigastudio?

1) Giga was not plugin.
    2) Giga did not provide anti-pirating function for developers.
    3) Giga's programming function was less intuitive than Kontakt for a lot of people.

Giga also tended to not get along well with others in terms of the rest of your computer system. It was most stable on a separate machine and most folks couldn't or didn't want to go to that trouble and expense.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

4) Giga studio was made for the PC only.

5) It took a long time to get Giga studio 3 to come out

6) Some musicians had the sense that Tascam was not so interested in Gigastudio as in their hardware products. Perhaps not true at all, but some had that sense.

I purchased Gigastudio and have it on my (now) old PC. Six weeks ago I purchased a new Mac Pro and have installed Kontakt 3 on it as well as alot of other music software.

David

Quote Originally Posted by bmdaustin View Post
    Giga also tended to not get along well with others in terms of the rest of your computer system. It was most stable on a separate machine and most folks couldn't or didn't want to go to that trouble and expense.
    Boooyyyy, ain't that the truth!? I'm like you said and had everything on one computer. Worked, but every now and then in something completely different than the music stuff, Gigastudio which wasn't even running, would give me errors. And I would just stare at the machine thinking it was possessed or something. What it was doing in the background was always a mystery to me. Since using Kontakt2 I hadn't a need for Gigastudio and took it off and I really haven't missed it since. I saw they have a new version which I think is out now and the question I asked myself was, what's the point? Does anybody even support it anymore (rhetorical question)? But then again Sampling was never an issue for me. I prefer to use Samples somebody else makes. And maybe that was Gigastudio's preferred market. I dunno, just thinking out loud.

Rich

Tascam has responded to the most important criticisms above. They now have a player (GVI). Developers can "lock" their samples. GVI will soon be available on the Mac. GVI doesn't use "kernel mode", so a standalone machine is not needed.

GS4 is now on the market, and has some advantages over other samplers: GS4 is 64-bits today. GS4 is a VSTi host: you can now stack anybody's libs with your Giga libs and run everything into a common set of effects, including GigaPulse. GS3/4 has the DEF filter, which is brilliant at adding expression to solo instruments. GS4 integrates DEF more completely than GS3.

Of course, now many developers are making their own players. In some cases the players offer cool features. In other cases they don't - they just cut the developer's licensing costs. Unfortunately, this means 1) installing more software that might be incompatible, 2) managing more keys and licenses, 3) hoping the VSTis don't fight each other to the death for RAM and disc access, 4) learning new UIs, and 5) risking that a given custom sampler will no longer be supported, potentially making your samples inaccessible.

Personally, I prefer using a single, open sampler.

Anyway, previously I wasn't able to run Appassionata Strings (VSL's VI player) alongside GS3. Now, with GS4, I can host the VI and stack my other orchestral and solo strings with Appassionata for a fuller and more defined sound. And I can route the whole thing through GigaPulse. Life is good!

Personally, I prefer using a single, open sampler.
    What do you think about the "linux sampler" kind of gigasampler clone? and dimension pro and sfz format? They look like interesting things, even i dont know if developers can lock their samples with them.
    Marcelo Colina

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst View Post
    ... you can now stack anybody's libs with your Giga libs...
    I tried getting Tascam to answer this same issue and never got a reply. You're saying Giga4 can run JABB? I'd give it a second look if so. One of the things I like about Kontakt is all my sounds are handled through it, including the Gigastudio sounds.

Rich

Quote Originally Posted by marce View Post
    What do you think about the "linux sampler" kind of gigasampler clone?
    I think it's got potential, but it doesn't really have the features of K3 or GS3/4.

Linux seems well suited to a sampler though. It has very little overhead and can be optimized for the task - in theory.

Quote Originally Posted by rgarber View Post
    You're saying Giga4 can run JABB? I'd give it a second look if so.
    GS4 won't load the JABB samples - they're locked. But GS4 can host the Kontakt VSTi.

I see these advantages:
    * You can stack Giga and Kontakt sounds and run them through GigaPulse.
    * Giga and Kontakt now play well together. (I think this is true anyway. I've just tried VSL VI so far.)
    * When GS4 hosts a VSTi, it can coordinate RAM and Disc access. (Again, I think this is true, but I haven't exactly seen the code...)
    * Rather than saving templates in your sequencer, you save them as Giga Performances. This holds all of your Giga ans VSTi setups.

GS4 could be especially nice for live performances. Stacking different sounds and players together and being able to do program changes and such could be really sweet live.

Go Back to forum