• Register
  • Help

Topic: New PC & GPO

Share/Bookmark

New PC & GPO

Hooraaay! I just bought a new PC (the old motherboard crashed). It's beautiful--GeForce 8400, 24" widescreen monitor, 5 Gigs of RAM, 600 GB hard drive... oh, but wait, what about the audio?

On my old machine I was running a SoundBlaster Audigy 2. I opened up my new machine to pop that bad boy in and lo-and-behold, there is no open slot for my sound card. I now have integrated Realtek High Definition Audio. Hmmm.... will GPO run on this? Did I just screw myself?
    C. Foster Payne
    Amateur Composer/Orchestrator
    http://FosterPayne.com/default.aspx

Re: New PC & GPO

Real-tek is certainly not the greatest.

There are many solutions you can take, the easiest of which will be to get yourself an inexpensive firewire or USB 2.0 audio interface. USB is available for as little as $100 USD and you can find reliable firewire models around $200.

For USB, check out
    M-Audio Fast Track Pro
    Lexicon Alpha
    Tascam US-122L
    E-MU 0202 USB

For Firewire, check out
    Focusrite Saffire LE
    Edirol FA-66
    Yamaha GO46

I am curious what new PC ships without any room for expansion. Do you have a model number?

Buy Emu 0404 for PCI. i recommend this soundcard. Its about 100euros think and if you want usb version its about 200euros i think.

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs View Post
    Real-tek is certainly not the greatest.

There are many solutions you can take, the easiest of which will be to get yourself an inexpensive firewire or USB 2.0 audio interface. USB is available for as little as $100 USD and you can find reliable firewire models around $200.

For USB, check out
    M-Audio Fast Track Pro
    Lexicon Alpha
    Tascam US-122L
    E-MU 0202 USB

For Firewire, check out
    Focusrite Saffire LE
    Edirol FA-66
    Yamaha GO46

I am curious what new PC ships without any room for expansion. Do you have a model number?
    Yes, it is the m8457c (HP Pavillion).
    C. Foster Payne

Okay, I am confused. My old setup was that I recorded right off of Finale 2006's wav generator. I then tweaked the wav file using SounBlaster's sound studio and saved it as an MP3. Pretty simple for what I used it for.

Aside from the sound studio (which I still have the software for), I just want to know if my current audio setup will play the GPO sounds. I looked at the links you guys published and these appear to be recording devices, not playback devices (like a sound card).

Sorry if I don't sound all that technically brilliant, but I got pretty lazy with my SoundBlaster Audigy 2.
    C. Foster Payne

Quote Originally Posted by FossMan View Post
    Okay, I am confused. My old setup was that I recorded right off of Finale 2006's wav generator. I then tweaked the wav file using SounBlaster's sound studio and saved it as an MP3. Pretty simple for what I used it for.

Aside from the sound studio (which I still have the software for), I just want to know if my current audio setup will play the GPO sounds. I looked at the links you guys published and these appear to be recording devices, not playback devices (like a sound card).

Sorry if I don't sound all that technically brilliant, but I got pretty lazy with my SoundBlaster Audigy 2.
    I just looked up the specs for your m8457c as I have an HP Pavillion a1613w. Was I ever surprised by what I saw.

I used an Audigy 2 card on my old Gateway and, like you, I never had any problem with this set-up. I just lacked the ability to upgrade memory beyond 1 gig, otherwise I'd still be using it Garritan. In fact, I'd still be using my old Audigy card if it didn't come in conflict with the M-Audio 2496 card that I used. I liked utilizing soundfonts with the Audigy card. In any case, I checked out the Transit USB from M-Audio. Plugs into a USB port. It is for both recording and playback. It sells for $100 and, if it's anything like the 2496 card that I use, it should work well for you. Check out:
    http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit-main.html Let me know that you think.

Gary
    Serenity Musician Productions (Gary A.)

Lenovo ThinksStation S30, Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, 20 gig ram, 2 terabyte hd., M-Audio Fast Track, Finale25, Sonar Professional

Quote Originally Posted by FossMan View Post

Hey Fossman,

No worries! These little devices do both. And as a general rule of thumb, soundcards with recording capabilities have better playback than those that don't.

Go Back to forum