• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: which string libraries are already panned

Share/Bookmark

which string libraries are already panned

I was reading where it says that the sonovox library is already panned. So I assume this means the first violins would be panned to the left some. Are they all like this or say would the VSL library or some of the others have the sections panned to the middle

Re: which string libraries are already panned

VSL is all recorded in the middle, and it's up to the composer to pan as he/she wishes.

-Alex

GPO and EWQLSO, as well as Sonivox, are pre-panned. VSL is not. Don't know about Kirk Hunter and others.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

sonavox say this is a advantage, Im not to sure

I can see their argument-- because they didn't pan each section in the traditional sense... They just recorded from the listener's perspective, in stereo, the section as it sounds from stage. So theoretically, when the whole sonivox ensemble comes together, it's naturally panned as an orchestra would be.

Doesn't East West do this as well?

The AI String library got really panned.

Quote Originally Posted by danpowers View Post
    GPO and EWQLSO, as well as Sonivox, are pre-panned. VSL is not. Don't know about Kirk Hunter and others.
    To clarify, GPO's instrument files are midi-panned, whereas libraries like EWQLSO are actually recorded in place.

The Kirk Hunter () libraries are recorded in their onstage position. This does not mean, however, that the 1st violins are hard left, and that the cellos and double basses are hard right. In fact, the strings in Ruby, while recorded this way, have marked signal strength in both left and right channels.

My argument with recording certain string ensembles purely centered in the stereo field is that there can arise some problems if the user wants to pan the sections later on. Most panning conventions simply lower the level of either right or left channel when turning a pan pot. Therefore, and especially if the section was recorded somewhat closely in terms of mic distance, you will lose the perceived "size" of your ensemble.

I read that one of the hardest things to do in a midi mock up is to get a violin 1 + violin 2 sound. They suggested the best way was to use the european setting and pan the violins 1 to the left and violins 2 to the right.Anyone have an opinion on that

Quote Originally Posted by tfishbein82 View Post
    To clarify, GPO's instrument files are midi-panned,
    incorrect,

the string section samples in GPO are full stereo recordings, not recorded from a distance. Each section was mic'd in stereo with mics placed evenly across the instruments being recorded.

Quote Originally Posted by KirkHunter

My argument with recording certain string ensembles purely centered in the stereo field is that there can arise some problems if the user wants to pan the sections later on. Most panning conventions simply lower the level of either right or left channel when turning a pan pot. Therefore, and especially if the section was recorded somewhat closely in terms of mic distance, you will lose the perceived "size" of your ensemble.
    This is absolutely true and any good engineer will know this and use use a plugin of some kind that allows both channels to be used without any loss of instruments. The minimized panning of the stereo image can then be panned wherever the user prefers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff4h
    I read that one of the hardest things to do in a midi mock up is to get a violin 1 + violin 2 sound. They suggested the best way was to use the european setting and pan the violins 1 to the left and violins 2 to the right.Anyone have an opinion on that
    I always place second violins to the right, this gives a much fuller sound with regard to frequency response across the panoramic field of sound.

I also place string basses more towards center, otherwise punchiness or low-end is lost because the basses are only playing through one speaker.

Dan

Go Back to forum