• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Absurd Laws from Around the World

Share/Bookmark

OT: Absurd Laws from Around the World

I saw this referenced on Digg:

France
    • It’s illegal to call or address a pig as Napoleon.
    • Between the hours of 8 a.m. and 8 p.m., 70 percent of the music on the radio must be by French composers.
    • It is against the law to sell a doll with a face that’s not human.
    Singapore
    • Littering is a serious offense. If caught littering your punishment includes a fine of several thousand dollars, hours of litter collection, state-sponsored counseling, as well as your picture in the local news.
    • It is illegal to carry a Bible or to talk to someone about Jesus.
    The United Kingdom
    • It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament. The reasoning behind this is that technically anyone who dies within the walls of Parliament is automatically granted a Royal state funeral.
    • The head of any dead whale found on the British coast is legally the property of the King. The tail is property of the Queen so that she can use the bones for her corset.
    • In the city of York, it is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow.
    Australia
    • Although it is against the law for children to buy cigarettes, condoms, or alcohol, they can legally use all of them.
    • It is illegal to wear black clothing, felt shoes, and black shoe polish on your face while roaming the streets. These items are the tools of a cat burglar.
    • It is illegal to dress up as Batman.
    Finland
    • Donald Duck was once banned because he doesn’t wear any pants.
    The United States
    • Impotence is grounds for divorce in twenty-four states.
    • In Illinois, it is illegal to speak English. The officially recognized language is “American.”
    • In Oxford, Ohio, it is still illegal for a woman to undress in front of a picture of a man.
    • In Indiana, during the 1950s, anything to do with Robin Hood was prohibited. Robbing from the rich to give to the poor was considered communist ideology.
    Thailand
    • If you drop gum on the pavement, you can be fined up to $600.
    • You are not permitted to leave your house without wearing underwear.
    • All those who attend a cinema show must stand up during the national anthem before a film begins.
    Do you know of other absurb laws around the world?

Re: OT: Absurd Laws from Around the World

Here's a link that shows crazy laws by state:

http://www.totallyuselessknowledge.com/laws.php

dave

More:
    http://www.justafreak.com/law/index.shtml

I was looking for stupid laws in the Netherlands. Couldn't find any. I am sure we have them....... anybody?

Raymond

In Australia it is illegal to play two-up (a gambling game involving tossing two coins at once) except on April 25th (ANZAC Day) to commemmorate the soldiers (The ANZACs) who fought at Gallipoli.

Most countries celebrate their greatest victories - Australians celebrate their greatest defeat.

Gallipoli - 50000 Australian soldiers, 8000 died. A terrible and pointless losswith nothing to gain. This battle is celebrated as probably the most sacred event in the year.

Another battle on the in France on the Somme there were ONLY Australians involved, 250000 of them, 50000 dead, but they liberated the city and defeated the Germans. Hardly anyone knows about it. I only just found out about it.

In Pacific Grove, California, when I first visited there, it was illegal to close the window shades so the town elders could look in and see that if you were doing something improper. I don't know if the law is still on the books.

Richard

In Scotland you can still be hanged for stealing a sheep. And the Loch Ness Monster (Nessie) is protected by The Protection of Animal Acts of 1912 which was amended to include the mythical creature.

I'm starting to think I might agree with the littering laws of Singapore and Thailand. Ever tried to take care of a mile of roadway in your area? John

Quote Originally Posted by bigears View Post
    I'm starting to think I might agree with the littering laws of Singapore and Thailand. Ever tried to take care of a mile of roadway in your area? John
    I was thinking the same than you.
    Marcelo Colina

Smile Re: OT: Absurd Laws from Around the World

In China it is illegal to walk on the grass... because they only have about twelve square feet of it and it would die if millions of people walked on it.

If you know anyone in China, send them a square of St. Augustine Grass. It only costs about a buck, but for them it will be like having gold.

There's goes my plan of selling pig dolls named Napoleon in France.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum