• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: CC#11 Expression Controller Problem, Help!

Share/Bookmark

Question CC#11 Expression Controller Problem, Help!

Dear group,

I recently purchased "THE TRUMPET", and am loving it. It's one amazing instrument, and seriously deep with regards to keyswitching.

Anyway, I can't seem to get my volume/expression controller to work correctly. When I begin pressing it with my foot, no matter how sensitively, it jumps right up to 60! What happened to 1-59!?!? Also, theres an audible jump in dynamics when I softly press on the pedal, so I feel like I'm missing the full dynamic range of my instrument.

So what gives? Any ideas?

For the record, I'm using an M-audio ProKeys 88 with a Yamaha FC7 expression pedal. I've called both Yamaha and M-audio, and haven't gotten any answers so far.

Thanks for the help!

-Alex

Re: CC#11 Expression Controller Problem, Help!

OK, problem solved. The short version of the story is: Yamaha makes things with idea that they will only be used with Yamaha products. Jerks.

For those interested:

ashbysolutions.com sells a nifty little adapter for those who don't feel comfortable breaking the wire and soldering.

http://music.ashbysolutions.com/misc.html#FC7

"Unfortunately, the FC7 isn't directly compatible with keyboards by Roland, Kurzweil, Clavia (Nord), Voce, M-Audio, and others without rewiring the permanently attached cable, which of course voids the warranty."

Bruce Wahler, the owner of Ashby's, is a really cool dude. It's good to get an answer for once!

-Alex

Im looking for a foot controller, and i read your thread with interest. Well, to be gentle with yamaha, the model is rather old (1991 according to the site) and quoting the same site than you it says "Our favorite volume/expression pedal is the Yamaha FC7". So, be patient with them
    Im out of money for the moment, and i will try a cheap joystick pedal, the ones for games, like an expression one. Is possible, in theory at least. Just need to get one.
    Marcelo Colina

true that the model is old- but that's not a big deal, when you consider that the MIDI spec is almost 30 years old!

The pedal is totally solid, smooth, exactly what I want. Except for the fact that Yamaha is on their high pedestal, unwilling to conform with the rest of the industry.

-Alex

I have a Behringer fcv100 foot controller
    The problem with it is, it hits 127 half way up.

Anyone know how I can get it not to hit 127 until the pedal is all the way up?
    or recommend one that works right?

Quote Originally Posted by AlexDavis View Post
    The short version of the story is: Yamaha makes things with idea that they will only be used with Yamaha products. Jerks.
    -Alex
    [/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT]
    They're not jerks...
    What you are experiencing is the fact that your keyboard requires a potentiometer of a different value,,,,, it's an "ohms" thing.

You must purchase a volume pedal manufactured by the company that makes the keyboard and make sure it is compatible with your model. Some pedals simply will not work with other brands of keyboards.

If your Sony car stereo's volume potentiometer was bad, you would not want to order one from Alpine. Both companies make fine stuff, but not necessarily compatible.

I experienced the same thing when my Yamaha KX-88 died. I tried using the FC-7 Yamaha expression/volume pedal with a borrowed Kurzweil keyboard, but the proportionality of it was all wrong.
    I know exactly how you feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Dirk View Post

Call the keyboard manufacturer, and talk to someone in tech support and ask them what the value of the pot is for their volume pedal. You could then go to an electronics store and purchase one and replace it. Your Behringer pedal will then control your keyboard smoothly.
    If you can use a soldering iron (Radio Shack 12 bucks) screw driver and pliers, you will be in business.

Dan

Alex, and other friends,

As previously reported, the "universal" VP 26 U yields a linear response, at least on several tested keyboards, and is rather inexpensive. I've been using it since several years.

Best,

Giorgio

Great information from all! Thanks DPDAN and Giorgio for the great advice. I've learned a lot from this thread

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Dirk View Post

I've learned over the years to seriously limit the number of components I have from them. I bought a pair of Behringer studio monitors (against the advice of the salesman) a few years ago, when I was living in NYC. After lugging the 60 pound box from my bus-stop and up to the 6th floor of my WALKUP apartment (awful!), I was really upset to find ultra-loud radio interference emanating from BOTH speakers. This is even before I plugged them into my audio interface!!

Maybe it was a fluke, but it was one that required me to repack a 60 pound box and walk it back down 6 flights of stairs!! Not something I will soon forget.

In general, Behringer is a good brand

for me to poop on ha ha ha just kidding
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by AlexDavis View Post
    I was really upset to find ultra-loud radio interference emanating from BOTH speakers. This is even before I plugged them into my audio interface!!
    If they have a high input impedance, RCA or not-normalled-to-ground-1/4" input connectors and you are in a city, this is quite likely.

Since you took them back, I assume they still had the problem after you plugged them into the interface.

Ernie

Go Back to forum