• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: VSL demo-- Ravel's Introduction and Allegro for Harp, flute, clarinet & string quarte

Share/Bookmark

VSL demo-- Ravel's Introduction and Allegro for Harp, flute, clarinet & string quarte

Here is my performance of Ravel's Introduction and Allegro for Harp accompanied by flute, clarinet and string quartet.

http://vsl.co.at/Player2.aspx?Lang=1&DemoID=5254

I marvel at the way Ravel manages to distill a full orchestra down to just 7 players!

All 7 instruments are VSL VI. Reverb is Altiverb's Todd AO IR for a more "studio" style mix.

Comments are extremely welcome!

Best wishes,
    Jay

Re: VSL demo-- Ravel's Introduction and Allegro for Harp, flute, clarinet & string qu

As always, it's a pleasure listening to your renditions. Not only is this an amazing piece of music, but your work on it is top-notch. Really expressive, lots of attention to detail, I love it!

Thanks J,

A

Re: VSL demo-- Ravel's Introduction and Allegro for Harp, flute, clarinet & string qu

Thank You Jay,

To sum it up in two words, I have to say this is ....... (Simply Superb)

Your expertise, and mastery of the VSL VI's shine all over this piece. What a performance !

This is a great demonstration of how wonderful the VSL-VI's can sound, when a good amount of attention is given to detail, such as expression, good orchestration, mixing, creative use of the VSL-VI's capabilities, and not to forget, the tasteful use of high-quality IR reverb such as Altiverb (not too much, not too little, just the right amount of reverb IMHO is very critical to achieve that natural instrument timbre, and cohesive ambience of a concert hall).

Another amazing fact is that all of this was done using 7 VSL-VI Instruments. Now that makes writing a pleasure ! I can just imagine the amount of individual tracks this piece would have required if the VSL-VI's did not exist, but they DO !

If your time allows ... I have a few questions,

Q1) Which VSL-VI's did you use for this Ravel piece ?

Q2) What are your thoughts on the usability of the "short-string- articulations" of the "Appassionata Strings" , especially for applications where you need to write fast tempi string lines ? can they do it ? or not ?

Q3) I'm, guessing that you used only one instance of Altiverb's "TODD AO IR", is that the case ? if not .. some more details on how many reverbs were used would be very appreciated.

and finally....

Q4) Would it have been possible to write this piece using only the VSL-SE (standard + exp.- Plus) ? Well ... unless that is what you used for this Ravel piece

Cheers.

Very nice. I tip my hat to you for the quality of work.

Two things: how long did this take you?

and:

Programming: Maurice Ravel
    Mix: Maurice Ravel

You sure about that?

Very nice Jay!!!
    Dan

Jay,

as always: very nice what you did! Sounds greaaaat!

I can`t wait to listen to your own composed music!!!

My best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post
    Q1) Which VSL-VI's did you use for this Ravel piece ?
    I used the flute and clarinet from Woodwinds I-- the violin, viola and cello from Solo Strings-- and the Harp #2 from the Harps package.

Q2) What are your thoughts on the usability of the "short-string- articulations" of the "Appassionata Strings" , especially for applications where you need to write fast tempi string lines ? can they do it ? or not ?
    There are some very usable short articulations in the Appassionata Strings package. I particularly like the new violin harsh articulation. However, there are not as many "short" strings options in the Appassionata package as there are in the Orchestral Strings packages.

Q3) I'm, guessing that you used only one instance of Altiverb's "TODD AO IR", is that the case ? if not .. some more details on how many reverbs were used would be very appreciated.
    1 instance of Altiverb only.

Q4) Would it have been possible to write this piece using only the VSL-SE (standard + exp.- Plus) ? Well ... unless that is what you used for this Ravel piece
    I think you could get close with VSL-SE-PLUS but you would sacrifice some of the subtle performance nuances and colors.

Best,
    Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey Hayat View Post
    how long did this take you?
    Several weeks.

Best,
    Jay

Thanks also to Alex, Dan and Gunther for listening and taking the time to post a response. Much appreciated!

Best,
    Jay

Hi Jay,

Thank You for taking the time to answer all of my questions.

All The Best,

muziksculp

Go Back to forum