• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help me, I'm using sharps!!! (A little impressionism)

Share/Bookmark

Help me, I'm using sharps!!! (A little impressionism)

So, I was farting around on the keyboard one day with B flat minor dorian (I know, sucks to read, but pretty easy to improv) And I decided to start something with it, but only after I transposed it to B minor dorian. This whole composition isn't in dorian mode, It just got it's start by me having some fun with it, and therefore may have a few elements of it throughout.

I'd really like to say this sounds impressionistic, but since I'm such a novice at music history, I'd like to know if you agree. Right now, this song is untitled and is in 2 short movements at just over 3 minutes in total length. I may add to it, I may not. I may change the last 4 bars...I may not...

Anyway, I hope you enjoy it!

lo-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=6539567&q=lo
    hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=6539567&q=hi
    Last edited by sanyarem; 05-12-2008 at 07:23 PM. Reason: wrong link
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Re: Help me, I'm using sharps!!! (A little impressionism)

HI

So, "B minor Dorian" do you mean B minor? or B dorian? or B Locrian (one mode up from B minor, which is equivalent to the Aeolian mode)?

Either way I don't know if it sounds impressionist, so much as it has a Renaissance quality in its sonorities. Especially at the begining.

Nice work,
    Matt

Yes, you got me, I don't know much about naming scales. What I mean is, I used the B minor scale, but started on C# in stead of B...which now that I think of it, probably wouldn't be called B minor dorian...but it sounded cool at the time Renaissance, eh? I never would've guessed that. Though, when I think about it, I do realize that the first movement definitely does not sound impressionistic at all.

I also realize this is still a little rough around the edges, especially the ending, which I'm not really a big fan of at the moment. Thanks for your comment Matthew!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Can I borrow your Dorian to go back to the future?

Sorry, that's DeLorean not dorian.

Didn't Van Gogh have something to do with impressionism? I guess that means I can't give an opinion about the era either.

The music sounds nice, but I did think that something just stopped at the end. Then I realized that it was over.

Endings can always be hard to do.

Well Done

Ron

Lovely work in this, sanyarem -- with some truly golden
    moments in it.

I don't know particularly what category it might fall in;
    certainly has some Impressionistic elements -- but also
    a lot of modern strokes and distinctly Romantic tendencies.

But then, who cares... lol. Labels aren't important; what
    counts is the quality of the music.

By all means, I do hope you'll take this forward!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Rolifer: Haha, very nice. About the ending, yeah... I'm actually working on changing it right now, which means extending it quite a bit... So hopefully it won't just "stop"

etLux: Thanks for your fine compliments, I hope I can continue to live up to them Just when I thought this topic was long dead, you bring it back... let's see how much longer it lasts before it goes kapoot!
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Go Back to forum