• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GS4 stopped working, ugh

Share/Bookmark

GS4 stopped working, ugh

Out of nowhere GS4 stopped spitting out audio and stopped receiving MIDI. Vienna Ensemble on the same computer is working fine using the same hardware. Even playing the keyboard inside of gs4 produces no visible audio within the program when an instrument is loaded. was working great for a while but removing and reinstalling now. Any thoughts welcome. thanks

Digiface
    Core 2 Duo E8400
    8 gigs RAM
    XP64

Re: GS4 stopped working, ugh

from diagnostics:

Process GS4Server64.exe: Loading Kernel level drivers ...
    InstallDriver(): Unable to CreateService: The specified service has been marked for deletion.

StartDriver(): StartSevice() failed - The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

StartDriver(): Even though StartSevice() failed, we will continue on as normal
    LoadDeviceDriver(): Able to install and start driver: GS4ENGINE (C:\Program Files\TASCAM\GigaStudio 4\\system\GS4Engine64.sys)
    OpenDevice(): Failed to CreateFile with name \\.\GS4ENGINE1
    OpenDevice(): Failed CreateFile with backup name \\.\Global\GS4ENGINE
    SetSecurityLevelForService(): Finished changing security level.
    LoadDeviceDriver(): Able to install and start driver: GS4ENGINE (C:\Program Files\TASCAM\GigaStudio 4\\system\GS4Engine64.sys)
    GS4Engine64.sys loaded on second iteration.
    Loading Kernel level drivers completed ============

*** Process GS4Server64.exe establishing a link with the kernel driver. Driver reference count = 2

_GetGlobalSpaceForProcess(), cnt:1 GS4Server64.exe
    MSG32 thread: Thread handle = fffffffe, Id = 284
    MidiLoop Thread creation: handle = 128, Id = 7f4
    Event Thread creation: handle = 12c, Id = 7f0
    Strm Mgr Thread creation: handle = 124, Id = 704

================================= GS4 Server has successfully started/initialized

*** Process GStudio4.exe establishing a link with the kernel driver. Driver reference count = 2

Process GStudio4.exe: Loading NFX kernel filter GPMPM4 (GPMPM4.SYS)...
    SetSecurityLevelForService(): Finished changing security level.
    LoadDeviceDriver(): Able to install and start driver: GPMPM4 (C:\Program Files\TASCAM\GigaStudio 4\\system\GPMPM4.sys)

Removing and reinstalling did not work.

at a loss...just when I thought all was well...damn. I tell you, nothing has been as stable as my original Win98 GS 2.5 system. bummer.

Some other observations:

Every now and then in GS4 hardware it says I have a multiface. I have to restart Giga to fix this. Een when it says "digiface" it lists the types of outputs as "analog" instead of "digital". But the number of outputs is correct.

sounds to me like old or wrong drivers for your sound card... i dunno what to tell you, I have done the 2.5 and 3.0 thing and never have i had a better experience with GS than I have now with 4.0
    Christopher Kennedy Alpiar
    Cinematic Composer
    www.alpiar.com

Have you run the Giga Configuration Manager from the start menu? Does it list a soundcard?

It looks like a driver issue. If re-installing GS4 doesn't work, try re-installing your soundcard driver and re-running the config manager.

Best of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst View Post
    Have you run the Giga Configuration Manager from the start menu? Does it list a soundcard?

It looks like a driver issue. If re-installing GS4 doesn't work, try re-installing your soundcard driver and re-running the config manager.

Best of luck.
    I tried both of these things. It does list the digiface in the configuration manager. "External MIDI" is flashing next to where the MIDI port activity lights are at the bottom of the screen in GS4. What does this mean? I noticed that it does not do this in GS3.

thanks-
    Judson

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst View Post

Best of luck.
    So I loaded GS4 with "no external components" under troubleshoot and that seems to have fixed it. What was going on?

thanks-
    Judson

Is there any chance you have exceeded the 10 active midi device driver entries in Windows XP?

EQ Magazine download (.pdf file)
    http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...1&d=1209494622

RME Audio -- 10 Entry Limit in Windows XP
    http://www.rme-audio.de/en_support_t...t_faq_10entryd

GS4.......

Another piece of you know what release from a company that makes a windows based program that doesn't like windows.

Go figure.

I switched to kontakt.

Sorry. I'm just tired of Giga, it will never end.
    GVI on the other hand, great. But not the same, I know.
    2 X Intel i7 920 sys. 12 gigs Ram. XP & Win 7 64
    Cubase 5. Kontakt 4. EWQL C.C.C. (Play)
    Vienna Instruments SE & Plus. Symphobia. GPO.
    RME HDSPe AIO KRK V8s Avalon Vt-747sp
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

My two passions. Music and Cooking.
    Both require just the right ingredients....

Quote Originally Posted by Chalfant View Post
    GS4.......

Another piece of you know what release from a company that makes a windows based program that doesn't like windows.

Go figure.

I switched to kontakt.

Sorry. I'm just tired of Giga, it will never end.
    GVI on the other hand, great. But not the same, I know.
    That's hard to disagree with since GS4 won't work on my 3 machines and Kontakt works on all of them.

Go Back to forum