• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Pikes Peak Region Poet-Composer Collaboration Opportunity

Share/Bookmark

Pikes Peak Region Poet-Composer Collaboration Opportunity

It is a special art to set poetry to music.... and on that topic -- I will be soon working on setting some of our local (Pikes Peak Region) Poet Laureate Aaron Anstett's (http://www.pikespeakpoetlaureate.org/current_poet.html ) poetry to music, with interest from a local conductor of note ( Tom Wilson, who is among other posts, associate conductor of our Philharmonic and is very interested in young people's education (see http://www.csphilharmonic.org/education/faq.html ). One thing Aaron asked me is whether I would be interested in setting other poet's writing to music -- the answer is yes, but I am swamped right now. And suddenly, listening to Trent's beautiful setting of his poetry just now on another thread in this subforum, it occurred to me -- there is a whole ocean of talent here on the forum!!!

So, let me pose this question to everyone: anyone interested in setting some poetry by our local poets to music of your choice? I asked Tom for suggestions on instrumentation, waiting on that. I can't promise anything re: performance and so on, but now I am getting much more connected here in the springs, and since Aaron requested more for other poets, why not hook then up with the enormous talent on this forum??

I would just help get people connected, that's all, and then you all and any interested poets can take it from there.

If you are interested, I suggest you reply to this topic with a little information about yourself, your email, and a couple of music listening samples, especially ones that set poetry to music, if you have done that, or else anything you like. I can send Aaron the link and he can pass it on to any poets who are interested, then they can contact the composers directly. Does that sound like a good plan? It would also be ideal if people could provide scores (ie, you work in a notation program), because of the possibility of performance by real live musicians.... maybe that's superfluous to say, but not everyone works from notation...

Warm wishes to all,
    Karen

Re: Pikes Peak Region Poet-Composer Collaboration Opportunity

Hi Karen. Thanks for the kind words in this and the other thread (don’t want to waste space there on a reply). I’m glad I helped you come up with this idea of giving people here this opportunity.

I’m real busy now, but this is something I’d like to try. I’ll send you a PM later with some info (email address, etc.). I’m at work now and am not supposed to be even doing this…. (I’ll have to look at your operetta later and see if there is anything about the Internet Police….)
    Trent P. McDonald

Quote Originally Posted by trentpmcd View Post
    Hi Karen. Thanks for the kind words in this and the other thread (don’t want to waste space there on a reply). I’m glad I helped you come up with this idea of giving people here this opportunity.

I’m real busy now, but this is something I’d like to try. I’ll send you a PM later with some info (email address, etc.). I’m at work now and am not supposed to be even doing this…. (I’ll have to look at your operetta later and see if there is anything about the Internet Police….)
    OK, great, I look forward to hearing from you!

The internet police, are, I believe, a specialized sub-department of the Conformity Patrol (aka the Cubicle Police). I have not yet written the scene that takes place in their lair, but will keep that in mind. Oooh, that could be really fun!

Karen

I'd certainly be interested... sadly, the vocal music I have has poetry that is under copyright (I have permission for performance, etc.. but posting on the internet is more than likely a no-no).

I love writing for voice and I'm always looking for new texts to set. I'd love to get involved in this.

There are some excerpts from songs posted on my website, but no complete songs at the moment. Later today, I'll upload a few and link to them in this thread.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy View Post
    I'd certainly be interested... sadly, the vocal music I have has poetry that is under copyright (I have permission for performance, etc.. but posting on the internet is more than likely a no-no).
    Hi Michel,
    well, just any link to a sample of your music of any kind is fine... I understand about the copyright thing (painfully) -- i set a part of a Dylan Thomas poem to music and requested permission from the managers of the estate (Dave S. told me where). They sent me a contract that would have me pay 50% I think it was from any/all proceeds from pub, performance, etc. I was using 1 stanza of 1 poem, and for that writing approx 20 parts (voice and small orch.). That movement was in turn one of four in a work of 20 minutes. Their contract seemed totally unreasonable to me! So I just dropped it and wrote my own words. they aren't Dylan Thomas, but they work OK I think. Plus I am just not set up to keep track of all that sort of thing.

Best,
    Karen

Thanks Trent, Dan and Michel! I think Aaron will find this exciting -- he is the hub of alot of poetic activity here in Colorado Springs... I'll keep you all posted on what's up, his ideas, etc.

Karen

Hi Karen.

I just reread your post and see that you want people to post links and things here so you could just refer interested parties to this thread. So here are a few links:

Black-eyed Susan (orchestrated and tenor) – poem by Trent McDonald
    Theme Song (piano and baritone) poem by Glenda Joette McDonald (my mother)

A few instrumental pieces:
    Piano Sonata in c# minor (link to Listening Room thread)
    13 – a short piece for large orchestra

More samples can be linked if needed.

Let me know if you need more info.

I’m going to break up my e-mail address so web crawlers and such can’t grab it:
    tmcdonald –at- tellink.net
    Trent P. McDonald

Sorry I didn't get to this last night like I said I would, but here are a couple of my songs from my first CD for everyone's listening enjoyment.

Sometimes With One I Love
    text by Walt Whitman

Spring and Fall
    text by Gerard Manley Hopkins

Performed by Sarah Stone, mezzo-soprano, and Martha Krasnican, piano

Enjoy!
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

links to music are in my signature... it links to my website, then just click on "Music" to get to the main recordings page.

Here's a direct link just in case:

http://www.dosblanc.ca/music/

Go Back to forum