• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: the SFZ thread

Share/Bookmark

the SFZ thread

Hello

Starting a new thread so that i don't continue hijacking the Kontakt/Giga one.

for what i have been reading, the sfz format that use our beloved SFZvsti, is outdated compared with the one that Dimension pro (the commercial sampler that cakewalk sell). So there exist, appear to be, enhancements to the sfz file format. So, i suspect that probably, ARIA will be using some advanced sfz file format, with some custom programming. But would be nice to know what´s going from mr David, if that`s not something like commercial secrets or so.
    Yes that is correct, Dimension Pro (and Drop Zone) uses the SFZ 2.X spec, which is also supported by ARIA.
    Which is fully described in this book:
    http://www.cakewalk.com/products/Books/Synthesizers.asp

There are various differences between the subtleties of the spec that each uses, we dont support all that Dimension Pro supports, and vice versa (we added more than 30 opcodes for Steinway and the other products in the pipes). But its mostly compatible.
    Of course if you dont stray much from SFZ 1.0, or use the common subset of SFZ 2.0 features that Both Aria and Dimension uses, you should have something that works on both.
    -Yes we haven't disclosed what that subset is actually - but i hope to fill our wiki with it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by raweber View Post
    Yeah, but those of us who have been spoilt by nifty GUIs tend to stare blankly at lines of text, even if they grew up entering Basic code out of a magazine because their dad wouldn't buy the games on the cartridges .
    You just made a picture pop in my head of me at 9 years old doing exactly that on a Saturday morning (Compute magazine VIC-20 type ins and only so few actual cartridges).
    Im sure its not with a big stretch that you can thank Commodore for ARIA.

There's a little more investment in the learning curve, but for someone like me with more time than money...
    With everything, doing something advanced involves a learning curve.
    However i do feel that SFZ is rather easy to start with.

David, I've been curious ever since Gary mentioned that the new Aria engine would be built around the sfz format - if you stripped away the fancy GUI and were only left with the text file and raw samples, would the Steinway sound the same in the sfz vsti (only without the effects)?
    No, since the ARIA engine uses SFZ 2.0 spec plus custom opcodes, also the audio file format we use in Steinway wouldn't be understood by any other SFZ engine than ARIA at this point.
    David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

Re: the SFZ thread

Hi David. I really liked to read your thread about sfz! I suppose that the custom opcodes you have made point to the new things ARIA implement. Thinking that in some future GPO will be updated to the ARIA sampler, i wonder if it will be able to load other sfz files than or it will be another separated product, like "ARIA sampler" (something like kontakt player and kontakt itself)
    Just curious.
    Marcelo Colina

Quote Originally Posted by David (plogue) View Post
    You just made a picture pop in my head of me at 9 years old doing exactly that on a Saturday morning (Compute magazine VIC-20 type ins and only so few actual cartridges).
    Im sure its not with a big stretch that you can thank Commodore for ARIA.
    For me it was a Texas Instruments TI-99/4A.

Anyway, thanks for the info. I think it's fascinating. And, a generic sfz2.0 player would be really cool! (hint, hint)

Hopefully in the coming months you will hear in the Listening Room the fruits of my sfz labors...

Quote Originally Posted by marce View Post
    Hi David. I really liked to read your thread about sfz! I suppose that the custom opcodes you have made point to the new things ARIA implement.
    Yes, new opcodes were required for Steinway, and also for the porting of GPO/JABB.
    We however added them following the "style" of the other pre-existing opcodes, so that
    it all felt like a logical progression, or that they would fill some obvious oversights in the spec.
    (for instance amplitude and amplitude_oncc were missing whereas "egXX_amplitude" already existed as target for EGs and LFOs)

note: amplitude and volume are different opcodes, the first being expressed as percentage, and the other in decibel. (sometimes its good to have both available)

Thinking that in some future GPO will be updated to the ARIA sampler, i wonder if it will be able to load other sfz files than or it will be another separated product, like "ARIA sampler" (something like kontakt player and kontakt itself)
    Just curious.
    Currently, any ARIA engine based product that are either out or in the pipes can read
    SFZ, either by using the "import" button, or by dropping a SFZ file directly on the interface.

This includes Steinway, but since this is a "one slot" product, you only get one SFZ at a time. Other ARIA players can be 16 slots, or unlimited slots, it depends on the target product.

Cheers!

HI

Quote Originally Posted by jjloving View Post
    How does this correspond with the # of MIDI channels? For example - Kontakt can hold 64 patches, but as a plugin (and without extra routing with virtual cables) it can only address 16 MIDI channels. Will these other ARIA players have a way of addressing more than 16 channels, (i.e. grouping them "Aria Player A: 1-16...B:1-16", etc) to do away with the need to load multiple instances in one project?
    Jon
    The 16 channel limit is a VST thing (only one MIDI port per plugin), so its 16 channels per instance. However, running multiple instances is not that much of a limitation, as ARIA will share resources across all instances. All samples loaded are shared, not repeated.

However, Standalone versions of ARIA can open all the ports and all channels.

I post a reply this morning, but im not seeing it now, some forum issue?

I was wondering myself if the sfz files of GPO will be open to tweeak, and if there will be available any kind of "script" similar to contact, and if the changes made to sfz format will be documented and available.
    Marcelo Colina

I post a reply this morning, but im not seeing it now, some forum issue?
    Probably.

I was wondering myself if the sfz files of GPO will be open to tweeak, and if there will be available any kind of "script" similar to contact, and if the changes made to sfz format will be documented and available.
    SFZ tweaks -> I currently don't see why not.
    Scripts -> There will be something, but i cant disclose details at this point.
    Documented changes -> time provided, yes.

Cheers

Mr Viens, you have satisfied my curiosity, at least by now. Thanks very much!
    Marcelo Colina

Quote Originally Posted by jjloving View Post
    "purge" in Kontakt (I keep asking based on this, because this is all I know!)? Similar feature, more intuitive feature, no feature? I am definitely good friends with the purge button.
    Jon
    I always found "purging" to be a less efficient "freezing".
    Essentially since you cant play new notes since their samples are gone, might as well freeze
    that track, which would give you CPU resources as well.

ARIA currently uses a "self recyclable" memory caching system.

Notice "currenlty"

Time ago i reported this issue with kontakt player:

Yes, that is what i do. But, by example if you use Kontakt player standalone, you can use 64 midichannels with only one instance of it, that uses more and less 100mb of RAM. If you want 64 midi channels with the VSTi version, you need to load 4 instance of KP2, that is more and less 350 mb of RAM *only* for the engine. Later you need to load the samples...
    if ARIA can use similar amount of ram in standalone mode than loading multiple instances of it, it will be a very good point for it!

In case you want to read the discussion it is Here
    Marcelo Colina

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast