• Register
  • Help

Topic: Which library best compliments EWQLSO Silver?

Share/Bookmark

Which library best compliments EWQLSO Silver?

Hello!

You'll probably roll your eyes and say "oh boy, another one of these questions".. but having searched the forums and listened to various libraries, I'm still not sure of what the best option for me is:

Last year I bought EWQLSO Silver as my first orchestral library. I started composing with it, and am thrilled at the quality and results I got! It was really a worthwhile purchase and opened up the world of orchestral composing to me. After one year, though, I find that the library lacks instruments that I need, and I don't have as wide creative control as I'd like with it.

I'd like to buy some new samples to compliment EWQLSO Silver's weaknesses and holes - but I don't really know which library would do this best, and was wondering if anyone could recommend some options? I'm not particularly rich, so I can't really afford the high end >$500 stuff.

I almost wanted to buy EWQLSO Gold, but I have heard some of you say that mixing libraries for different character is a better way to go. The common (affordable) library names I keep hearing are Kirk Hunter Emerald and GPO. I've also seen that Kontakt 3 comes with VSL - is this even worth mentioning or is the Kontakt library more of a teaser than a real library?

What library do you think would fill in the gaps best for me?

(Oh, and I also own Sample Modeling The Trumpet, which I think is just fabulous and compensates for EWQLSO's worse solo trumpet)

Re: Which library best compliments EWQLSO Silver?

Do you just have Silver or do you have Silver XP?

Just EWQLSO Silver

Well, considering that XP is going blend flawlessly into what you already have, I would say that that is your best bet right now. Atleast then you have one complete package or as complete as any one library can be. Then you should look for your next possibility. As far as that goes, I dont want to start that war. But they all have thier great strengths and weaknesses. Best of luck.

Eric

Hmm.. it looks like EW has discontinued the Silver Pro XP upgrade on their site..

Freakmod, I think you should just upgrade to Gold XP... It will probably be cheaper than to move to Emerald (that would give you the same articulations, but with a dryer sound). To really see an improvement in your sound palette, you would have to upgrade for at least Ruby, but it would be more expensive...

I wasn't that impressed with Gold when I first got it, but when I upgraded to Gold XP, man, what a difference!... You can really go a long way with it!...

As a first orchestral library, Gold XP can bring you far. But if you go for another package like VSL or Kirk Hunter (I own both by the way), you pretty much start all over again from the beginning...

Personnaly, I started with Gold XP, and then I'm filling the gaps according to my own taste using VSL, Kirk Hunter, Westgates products, and so on...

My suggestion : stick to Gold XP for a year, learning the articulations, then go fishing for what's missing according to your own needs... So basically, don't buy yourself a new library : buy yourself a year of reflection to know what you want for yourself and the world...

My first Orch Lib was EW Gold ... my second was KHEmerald. It was the perfect compliment in my opinion.

I can't see why KHE wouldn't also be complimentary to Silver.

I made a slow transition to using Emerald and quite a few of my pieces were very mixed back then.
    I still use a lot of Gold percussion with Emerald Strings, Brass, Wood Winds and it works very easily.
    I also find more control over the sound ( much less recorded ambiance in Emerald ) to be a real blessing.

You can get Silver pro XP for £60 here.

http://www.dv247.com/invt/30262/

Go Back to forum