• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sonar 7 Producer vs. Studio

Sonar 7 Producer vs. Studio

I'm about to update from Sonar Studio 4 to Sonar 7 and am wondering if I should get the Producer Edition or Studio?

The Studio edition will only cost me $99. The Producer edition will cost an additional $150. For that, I would get the following:
    • NEW— LP-64 EQ™ linear phase mastering EQ
    • NEW— LP-64 Multiband™ linear phase mastering compressor/limiter
    • NEW— Z3TA+™ waveshaping synthesizer
    • NEW— VC-64 Vintage Channel™ with sidechaining capabilities
    • NEW— Roland V-Vocal™ 1.5 with Pitch to MIDI conversion
    • AudioSnap™ multitrack audio quantize
    • Surround mixing in over 30 formats
    • SurroundBridge™ technology to use stereo FX in surround
    • Sonitus Surround Compressor
    • POW-r dithering
    • PSYN™ II subtractive synthesizer
    • Pentagon™ I Analog Modeling Synth
    • RXP™ groove instrument with REX file support
    • Perfect Space™ Convolution Reverb
    • Lexicon® Pantheon™ Reverb
    I already have the Lexicon Pantheon Reverb (from Producer edition 3).
    I don't need surround support.
    I can't see what use V-Vocal would be to me.
    Audio-Snap still works in Studio. Just one track at a time.
    I don't need the synths.

I'm mainly wondering about Perfect Space. I was thinking of getting AltiVerb. Is Perfect Space in the same league as PS?

Anyone have any opinions on the two Mastering plug-ins and the VC-64 (items 1, 2, & 4)?

Has anyone else made this decision? What did you decide and why?

Many thanks! - k
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

Re: Sonar 7 Producer vs. Studio

The Vintage Channel is one helluva plugin. Very useful and very powerful. It's also very transparent to my ears.

Perfect Space is...erm, nice. Personally, I don't believe it is up with Altiverb's realm. Perhaps the math inside is, but the impulses are not.

From what you're wanting to do, I'd say stick on studio.

Central Illinois

Re: Sonar 7 Producer vs. Studio

Hi, I have Sonar 7 PE installed on my computer. I do make use of the VC-64 quite a bit, the mastering plug-ins not so much. I have a more powerful mastering suite that I use instead. I believe The Perfect Space is based on Voxengos Pristine Space Convolution Reverb which can be downloaded as a trial demo, or purchased for around $120. There are IR's and links to IR's you can download free on the Voxengo web site. I don't have Altiverb (yet) so can't compare Pristine Space with it, but it is much cheaper and IR's are available in lots of places, both free and as large suites.
    The Power dithering choices are nice if you are using an audio bit depth of more than 16. At 16 bits you won't need to use the dithering to convert your audio to .wav. If your project bit depth is higher than 16, you need to use dithering when converting your audio files. The power 1, 2 and 3 settings are accurate, but use a lot of computer power. This is only necessary if you are exporting files to make a CD or saving a wav file to make an MP3. Hope this helps you make your decision, John

Go Back to forum