• Register
  • Help

Topic: Could Louis Armstrong's ghost sue me for this one?

Share/Bookmark

Could Louis Armstrong's ghost sue me for this one?

OK. I just realised where the opening line "I'm in heaven" comes from in this song. I was under "extreme" inspiration from Louis Armstrong's cheek to cheek. Beyond the first line, the song comes into its own and is no longer outright plagiarism. Actually I like to think of it as tipping my hat to the master himself.

Anyway let me know if this is plagiarism. Song uses JABB horns. Also, the bane of my life- mixing. Any comments on the mix welcome. Song is "I'm in heaven" @

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=405294

Re: Could Louis Armstrong's ghost sue me for this one?

It sure is a small world. I haven't noticed you in here before or didn't make the connection untill right now.

If I didn't say it earlier, I did enjoy the song, even though people are singing. I'm not much into vocals.

Ron

Quote Originally Posted by sunny View Post
    OK. I just realised where the opening line "I'm in heaven" comes from in this song. I was under "extreme" inspiration from Louis Armstrong's cheek to cheek. Beyond the first line, the song comes into its own and is no longer outright plagiarism. Actually I like to think of it as tipping my hat to the master himself.

Anyway let me know if this is plagiarism. Song uses JABB horns. Also, the bane of my life- mixing. Any comments on the mix welcome. Song is "I'm in heaven" @

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=405294
    Nah! Louis will be alright about it, he just sang it.

Now Irving Berlin might have a completely different take on the situation

I don't think Irving would mind -- but I'll ask him this evening.

Seriously? It's probably fairly difficult to write in a popular
    idiom without tripping over a few bars used by somebody,
    somewhere, sometime... lol. I don't hear this as plagiaristic.

Very well done, Sunny!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

For future caution, though an artist has died, the family of the artist can still sue. I often converse with our company copyright lawyer. He lives to talk about copyright law. And don't get him started regarding Disney or Mattel--especially Barbie! :P

As for this piece, unless it becomes a hit and makes big bucks, I do not think you have anything to worry about.
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

Go Back to forum