• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New Steinway — Old Standard

Share/Bookmark

New Steinway — Old Standard

So I was listening to Keith Jarrett tonight (which is always most humbling, lol) and it inspired me to sit at the Steinway for awhile tonight. This is in no ways a comparison of interpretations, but more an inspiration from his arrangement of "Someone To Watch Over Me".

Someone To Watch

I am still blown away at how expressive this Steinway is. It is such a joy to play, although I'm still not happy with the velocity sensitivity of my controller. Needs more tweaking.

BTW, this is Under the Lid, no soft pedal, played into Logic, with some Linear Phase EQ and Convolution Reverb added. Bounced from Logic to mp3.

Anyway, it is what it is. All comments obviously welcome. Apologies to Keith.

Tom

Re: New Steinway — Old Standard

Well, the Steinway is in good hands with you. This is one of my favorite Gershwin tunes and you have done a beautiful job with your arrangement and performance. Thanks for brightening up the night for this insomniac!
    John (bigears)

Hi Tom,

Great combination: Gershwin, the Steinway and your playing.
    Thanks, I enjoyed!

Yudit

Hi Tom,

sounds great.
    Would you like to tell us your eq-settings?

Best,

Johannes

Quote Originally Posted by musictom View Post
    So I was listening to Keith Jarrett tonight (which is always most humbling, lol) and it inspired me to sit at the Steinway for awhile tonight. This is in no ways a comparison of interpretations, but more an inspiration from his arrangement of "Someone To Watch Over Me".

Tom
    Hey Tom!

I think it sounds very good indeed! I originally did a demo for Gary with his original Steinway that came with GPO (2 layers). It was called "Come Back To Me" or "Will You COme Back To Me" (not sure now) LOL!

Anyway... I was thinking about picking up either the new Steinway from Gary or the Bluthner Digital Model One. I'm producing a bunch of solo improv (like Keith) and currently and using White Grand.

Any tips on the Steinway vs. the BDMO would be great.

Best,
    Jamie Sea

Hey Tom,

You can really produce a great sound with the G. Steinway
    It was wonderful, thank you for posting

Kind Regards,

Dan.
    Trumpet, cornet, flugel player. Composer and student.

Red face Re: New Steinway — Old Standard

I don't know about all this Steinway stuff. But I will say, those hands are amazing. You sir have a gift.

Quote Originally Posted by musictom View Post

Someone To Watch

I am still blown away at how expressive this Steinway is. It is such a joy to play, although I'm still not happy with the velocity sensitivity of my controller. Needs more tweaking.

BTW, this is Under the Lid, no soft pedal, played into Logic, with some Linear Phase EQ and Convolution Reverb added. Bounced from Logic to mp3.

Tom

Tom:

Nice to be able to have an instrument like this huh?

Really nice sounds. Great Gershwin tune. Heard Oscar
    Peterson play it last night and I went to bed without
    touching my piano.........lol

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Beautiful! Can we have some more, please? If Jarrett is an inspiration to you, he's not due an apology, but thanks!
    Sibelius, ProTools, Cubase
    on Mac OSX
    + plenty of coffee

Thanks for the replies, everybody. Most appreciated, and humbling.

John, any time I can bring some light into another insomniacs night, I'm happy.

Johannes, I left the eq flat in the Steinway AU, and here's what the e.q. in Logic looked like:

If anybody else is using Logic, I started with the Grand Piano 2 preset, and tweaked it a bit, using the Linear Phase EQ, rather than the standard Logic EQ. In my opinion, it's got more of a transparent sound, although takes quite a bit more resources. I have to add it after playing, otherwise, it can introduce too much latency.

Sea, I can't speak to the new Bluthner, as I've never had a chance to play (or hear) it. I have used the PMI Bosendorfer 290 and most recently, Akoustik Piano. For me, the Garritan Steinway represents a quantum leap in reality, playability, expressiveness, etc.

Jack, I know what you mean about listening to guys like Oscar Peterson, etc. Years ago, I was playing in a jazz/fusion local band, and some of us went to see the Yellowjackets. After being exposed to an hour and a half of Russell Ferrante burning up the keyboards, I wanted to go home and break my hands, LOL.

Henry, thanks for the kind words. Most appreciated.

Tom

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast