• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Very OT--book recommendations?

Very OT--book recommendations?

It's summer and I need stuff to read. What's everyone been reading lately?
    Dan Powers

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Central Illinois

Re: Very OT--book recommendations?

Hi, If you are interested in history I can recommend "How the Scots Invented the Modern World" by Arthur Herman. Excellent story of how Scotland emerged from being one of the poorest countries in Europe and
    how incredibly many Scotsmen were at the center of nearly everything we consider a part of the modern world. Literature, Science, Economics, Business, etc.
    Also, "A short history of nearly everything" by Bill Bryson. He has the amazing ability to make learning about virtually anything entertaining and often hilarious. Come to think of it, everything I have read by Bill Bryson is very funny. Be warned though, he's the kind of writer that can make you blow whatever you might be drinking through your nose. Watch out! John

Chandler, Arizona

The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch

Read everything by Terry Pratchett - I generally re-read the whole Discworld series every couple of years. Easily the funniest writer I ever read, and with a phenomenally flexible use of language.

Budleigh Salterton

Quote Originally Posted by danpowers View Post
    Lately - To Kill a Mockingbird. Great Expectations and a dreadful bio on Led Zeppelin which I wouldn't recommend.

If you like crime stories (detectives etc) try Andrea Camilleri (stories take place in Sicily) and Bernhard Schlink I (in Germany)

We suddenly seem here to be inundated with continental authors (in translation), but these two are good. Read the whole lot one after the other.

'Course its all subjective, I mean has anybody EVER finished Proust

Quote Originally Posted by danpowers View Post
    William Trevor: The Old Boys. Hilarious stiff upper-lip English Public School Old-Boy networking goes a-wry...written in early 1960's, in that clipped english style typical of 1950's Home Service Radio programmes.

Perez-Reverte: The Flanders Panel: a chess murder mystery in which a 15th century murder is solved in the 20th Century by playing back from a chess position, notated in a painting by the 15th Century Van Huys, using retrograde analysis. But as it is worked out which piece is taken in the 15th Century game, someone close to the 20th Century investigators is killed...

Also Prokofiev's Diaries. Volume 2; here's a link to a review I did of them
    I love getting paid for reading books!!!

Even in the summer, I don't get much dedicated reading time, so I'll recommend "Considering Genius" by Stanley Crouch. This is a collection of his articles on Jazz and the musicians who play it so it's easy to snag a few minutes here and there for a single article or, if there's more time, keep turning the pages. I've also just received "Think Like an Architect" by Hal Box which I'm looking forward to getting into since architecture and design are hobbies of mine.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA

Andrew Keen - "The Cult of the Amateur: How Today's Internet Is Killing Our Culture".

Agree or disagree, there's plenty of thought provoking stuff - particularly pertaining to the music industry.

Isn't that what we do with program manuals and help files?

Is there more to it than that?

- k
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

Go Back to forum