• Register
  • Help

Topic: Steinway updates...

Share/Bookmark

Steinway updates...

Hello. I am new to the forum, and have spent a decent amount of time poking around. I find it a bit difficult to get back to some posts I read a few weeks ago regarding the update coming for the Steinway, which will fix the A4 sample issue, as well as some sustain resonance problems. Anyhow, sorry if this has been addressed, but is there a planned release date yet? Having the A4 issue cleared up is something that I am anticipating, as it keeps popping up in various recordings I am using the Steinway for. Any news would be appreciated.
    Thanks!
    Scott Fritz
    President/Producer
    Stranded On A Planet Productions
    www.strandedonaplanet.com

Re: Steinway updates...

Another big question - Vienna Instruments, as well as the East West Play Engine are now running with host sequencers as a separate application, enabling them to take advantage of whatever RAM is in the system, not just the 2 or 4 gigs currently supported by both PC's and Macs (32 and 64 bit respectively). Is there any chance of the ARIA engine developing to that point? Our system has 10 gigs of RAM, and I would love to be able to preload 4 or 5 gigs of the Steinway into it rather than using the disk speed, which inevitably bottlenecks at times. Especially with the 24 bit professional version we have installed. I suspect that most sample developers will adopt this approach, stepping outside the limitations of the host sequencers. Any chance of this?

Hello

We are working hard on the updates, but they are not ready yet.
    Theres a few other fixes we want to include and QA test before release.

Quote Originally Posted by stranded View Post
    Another big question - Vienna Instruments, as well as the East West Play Engine are now running with host sequencers as a separate application, enabling them to take advantage of whatever RAM is in the system, not just the 2 or 4 gigs currently supported by both PC's and Macs (32 and 64 bit respectively).
    This is however inaccurate. on Windows x64, you have 8 TB (Terabytes) of RAM available to applications. The 2GB and 4GB is a 32 bit - application - limitation. Of course it would be hard to find a motherboard that would hold 8 TB of RAM .
    I'm contributing to a paper that will put some light on those 32 bit RAM limits. I hope it will
    come out soon, to demystify some of those aspects.

Seeing that 64bit hosts are here (like Sonar), and many others are on their way, doing what essentially is a 32bit stopgap measure seems unproductive to our development team.

In the case of the two companies you mention, i believe that their situation requires them to offer such a scenario at this point because of their legacy multiple Gygabyte sample libraries that they have to support for 32 bit hosts.

Is there any chance of the ARIA engine developing to that point? Our system has 10 gigs of RAM, and I would love to be able to preload 4 or 5 gigs of the Steinway into it rather than using the disk speed, which inevitably bottlenecks at times. Especially with the 24 bit professional version we have installed. I suspect that most sample developers will adopt this approach, stepping outside the limitations of the host sequencers. Any chance of this?
    Can you describe your system? is it a x64 or 32 bit machine? which OS, etc.
    Steinway, from all my tests really don't require more than 512MB of streaming cache to play most lengthly piano pieces ive thrown at it.
    David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

Hi David. Thanks for the informed reply. We are currently using the quad core 2.5 GHZ PPC Mac with Nuendo 3 and 4.5 gigs of RAM(a new 8 core 2.8 will be arriving on Thursday, along with 10 gigs of RAM and Nuendo 4) - and we have noticed processor chokes when playing sweeps/arpeggios up the keyboard. Of course this could be a limitation with our system, which is part of why we are upgrading. However, with the 10 gigs of RAM we will have, it would be great to be able to set the RAM allocation for the Garritan Steinway above 512, to not only free our hard disk up, but to enable even lower latency. Any thoughts? By the way, you guys have made an amazing product, hands down.

I've only had glitching when it first loads each sample. After that it plays fine. That was awhile ago and the code is much tighter now and I don't notice this issue. I'm on Windows XP x64. So the MAC OS code probably just needs more optimization.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
    I've only had glitching when it first loads each sample. After that it plays fine. That was awhile ago and the code is much tighter now and I don't notice this issue. I'm on Windows XP x64. So the MAC OS code probably just needs more optimization.

Jim
    Hi Jim. I have the same problem - glitches the first time each sample is played, so I just do a full glissando when booting up and then it is ok - however, when I play very intense, sustained long runs there are still some minor pops and clicks. Not the end of the world by any means, but I imagine if I had many of them loaded into RAM there wouldn't be any problem. Anyhow, I look forward to testing on the new Intel Mac and Nuendo 4.

Another question - why is it recommended to install the 16 bit version over the 24? I would imagine there would be a significant quality loss. I understand the performance might be better, but to me, the whole purpose of this sample set is extreme fidelity.

Another question - why is it recommended to install the 16 bit version over the 24? I would imagine there would be a significant quality loss. I understand the performance might be better, but to me, the whole purpose of this sample set is extreme fidelity.
    stranded,

There is always a trade-off with performance. Using 24 bit puts 50% more load on the system. There has been an ongoing debate as to the merits of 24bit and extreme fidelity as evinced in this Mix Magazine article: http://mixonline.com/recording/mixin..._new_sampling/

Best,

Gary

Thanks for the info Gary. I am actually familiar with the article. Out of curiosity, can you tell me whether you hear more in the 24 bit Steinway samples than the 16 bit? I would be interested to know, since you were obviously there for the whole process.

Off topic really but that Mix article is a real challenge..

When I go from 24 bit to 16 bit in my headphones (no room comb filtering) is the difference I hear real or placebo ?

If there's no difference, then the thought of spending all that extra money on supposed increase in quality is more than a little depressing. Ouch!

Richard P

Go Back to forum