• Register
  • Help

Topic: VSL Solo strings Quality vs KHSS

Share/Bookmark

VSL Solo strings Quality vs KHSS

I currently have Kirk Hunter's libraries and am trying to get a little better solo strings, especially violin. Is there a substantial difference between the VSL Solo strings and KHSS? I am doing pop, folk, vocal music and need the basic articulations--I also want to create some Chamber or quartet sections as well. All responses appreciated. Also: are there substantial differences between the VSL Solo String Packages--they range from $500 or so to ove $1000--I'd like to understand the basic differences.

Re: VSL Solo strings Quality vs KHSS

There is no comparison. The VSL solo strings are much better. The KHSS solo violin has a bad portameto bug and an audio loop (or some other artifact) about 2-3 seconds into the legato. I can't remember if the other solo instruments have the same issue. I only have the SE edition of the VSL solo strings, so the number of articulations is limited, but the sound quality is top notch. I have seen at least one complaint on the VSL forum that there are not enough articulations even in the full solo instrument package. However, for pop music, if you can find a copy of the Garritan Strad, get it. It is perfect for folk; probably better at that style than for the classic music it was designed for.

J.

Quote Originally Posted by Meyo View Post
    I have seen at least one complaint on the VSL forum that there are not enough articulations even in the full solo instrument package.
    Are you serious? I have the Horizon package and there's loads of articulation in there, 50GB of samples.

I was reporting that I'd seen a complaint; not my own experience.

J.

Quote Originally Posted by Meyo View Post
    I was reporting that I'd seen a complaint; not my own experience.

J.
    I understood. I was just a bit chock to hear this.

Actually I like VSL a lot and I'm considering investing quite a bit in expanding my library. On the other hand libraries like KH are very good and must be considered on a cost bassis. Even though I stated that the KH solo strings were weak, the rest of the library is very usable and the cost is a small percentage of VSL.

J.

i have to dissagree on this...in the Diamond version of KH atleast , i find the usability and sound combined of the solo instruments to be more effective then VSL in some ways.

KH has a more out of the box usability, and has a very warm and musical tone without touching a single eq or send bus...while it may not have as many options and tools as vsl does, its also...much less expensive.

I dunno, it depends on the level of detailed reqired...for the sporadic lead solo line every now and then, KH is absolutely wonderfull.

But if you need complete sonic control then go the VSL+Altiverb+signalprocessing route.

i guess they cater towards slightly different needs.
    But to say that KH solo stuff is weak is not realy fair.

And some of the solo instruments are HUGE as well, they could very well have been a library on their own, and dont forget that the KH lib is also a massive 60 GB or so, so its certaintly not lightweight...

My opinion is that you will get faster results with KH, but its somewhat restricted in terms of the sound you can get, and what you can do with it compared to VSL.
    BUt the pricing also reflects that i think...

I haven't tried to use the other solo instruments much, but the solo violin has two major problems which I certainly think qualifies it for a grade of weak.

1. The portamento script has a bug in Kontakt 2 and 3 that makes it unusable in real time; it sticks on and doesn't respond well.

2. There is a loop or other sound artifact about 2 to 3 seconds into the note. It is obvious and sounds somewhat like the player had the wrong bow speed and had to change direction.

I also qualified my comment by citing the cost difference; and I would add that I find most of the KH library really useful and am happy with the puchase.

J.

The two libraries are different enough that having both is a good option. I prefer the overall sound and the articulations of the VSL stuff, but I really like the expressiveness of the KH violin and viola solo instruments. Yes, there are annoyingly short loops in some of the KH intruments. You have to work around that sometimes, or with it. I prefer the vibrato on the KH violin by a big margin, but the VSL cello sound is beautiful. Throw in the Garritan Strad and a lot is covered.

How do you get around the portamento issues? Getting around the loop I understand, but how do you do a convincing violin solo without portamento? I ask not to stress that there is a problem, but rather to see if you've found a work-around that hasn't occurred to me.

J.

Go Back to forum