• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Mac Remote Desktop

Share/Bookmark

Mac Remote Desktop

Is anyone out there using Mac remote desktop? I am trying to use this program to run a Giga setup into my mac and can't for the life of me get my Mac to log onto the PC. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Peace

rikp

Re: Mac Remote Desktop

I'm note sure that will work- Apple's Remote Desktop is not designed to allow you access to a remote PC. (I don't think)

BUT- there is a free MS remote desktop program that will run from OS X and allow you to view a remote PC.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product...p/default.mspx

Hope this helps!

-Alex

Quote Originally Posted by AlexDavis View Post
    I'm note sure that will work- Apple's Remote Desktop is not designed to allow you access to a remote PC. (I don't think)

BUT- there is a free MS remote desktop program that will run from OS X and allow you to view a remote PC.

http://www.microsoft.com/mac/product...p/default.mspx

Hope this helps!

-Alex
    Thanks Alex! That is what I have. I am just not having any luck configuring it to my PC. Other folks have done it. I now think that my PC may have other issues, because now it won't even show me its ip address!

Any PC guys have any idea on how I can get it back?

Peace

rikp

Is your PC set up for Remote Desktop? It must be Windows XP Professional - the Home version does not allow hosting Remote Desktop (it only supports the client). If it is Professional, right-click on My Computer, click 'Properties', then 'Remote', and check 'Allow users to connect remotely to this computer'. Now it's ready to receive remote desktop calls.

To find out the IP address on the PC, start a command prompt window and type:
    ipconfig

This will tell you your IP address.

Hope this helps.

buzz

Quote Originally Posted by buzzripper View Post
    Is your PC set up for Remote Desktop? It must be Windows XP Professional - the Home version does not allow hosting Remote Desktop (it only supports the client). If it is Professional, right-click on My Computer, click 'Properties', then 'Remote', and check 'Allow users to connect remotely to this computer'. Now it's ready to receive remote desktop calls.

To find out the IP address on the PC, start a command prompt window and type:
    ipconfig

This will tell you your IP address.

Hope this helps.

buzz
    Is that true that Windows XP Home version does not allow hosting remote desktop? That may indeed be my problem. I was wondering why I could not see "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer. What about Vista? Doe that allow remote desktop connection from a Mac?

Peace

rikp

Yeah, Home definitely doesn't support hosting RD.

Quote Originally Posted by rikp View Post
    Does that allow remote desktop connection from a Mac?
    There are several versions of Vista, forget which one includes RD, the MS site will have those details. Might want to check out th upgrade from XP Home -> Professional, maybe it might be cheaper?

buzz

In the past, I used Real VNC (the free version) on the PC and Chicken of the VNC on the Mac. Worked fine for me. (I stopped using it since I got a KVM switch.) Maybe you could try what I had used as an alternative.

Rob

I'm a little confused about your setup- is your mac the host? From OS X? If so, I don't think you'll need XP Pro for RD to work. XP Home will work with RD as long as it's just a client, NOT the host. Maybe explain what your setup is like? How many computers?

-Alex

Thanks so much for taking the time with me on this Alex!

My Mac is the master running DP and Logic and I have my PC running GigaStudio. I was hoping to get rid of the PC monitor and PC keyboard by viewing and running my PC through Mac's Remote Desktop Connection.

Does this make sense?

Peace

rikp

I've been told about this application but haven't used it myself. Worth a try though.

http://cord.sourceforge.net/

Joel
    www.joeldouek.com

"Show me your Pasodoble!"

Go Back to forum