• Register
  • Help

Topic: "THE TRUMPET" - how to get real repetitions?

Share/Bookmark

"THE TRUMPET" - how to get real repetitions?

Hello,
    "THE TRUMPET" from SampleModeling sounds just amazing - I've never heard something so close to the real thing. Now my question is how can I achieve real sounding repetitions without the notorious "machine gun effect"? I ask this because there are no repetition samples available like in the VSL.

Regards,
    Metuschelach

Re: "THE TRUMPET" - how to get real repetitions?

This came up in the main thread when the trumpet was released. Here's what Giorgio said:

Quote Originally Posted by Giorgio Tommassini
    As to the “machine-gun” effect, I believe some further explanation may be appropriate.

The real trumpet, as most harmonic instruments, basically corresponds to a quasi-linear time-invariant system. This means that the output corresponds to the input * a basically fixed transfer function. If the player should apply the same input (lip pressure, air flow) on repetitions, the same sound would be output, and the result would be a “real trumpet machine gun effect”. However, the muscle (and the mind behind that) is a kind of fuzzy engine, hence this phenomenon does not occur in real life.

Conventional sample-based instruments play a single sample at a time. Thus, the output is fixed. On repetitions, this unavoidably leads to the dreaded machine-gun effect. The workaround used so far was to use a round-robin exchange among several samples of the same note. This is only partially effective though, since the machine-gun is potentially still there, just spread over time with different cadenzas.

The approach used in The Trumpet is basically different. Harmonic alignment of deconvolved sounds, coupled with advanced real time sound processing techniques, such as flutter and pitch modulation, allows for virtually infinite inputs to the mouthpiece. As with the real instrument, the input needs to be varied to yield a different output. This is easily done by varying velocity and expression (yes, the essential CC11 controller), sometimes even pitchbend, on each new note.

The Trumpet uses sophisticated algorithms yielding a continuously varying modulation of dynamics, pitch and flutter intensity, so that repetitions never yield an identical sound. However, this cannot, and should not, substitute the deterministic action of the player on the above controllers.

The best approach is to consider, and use, The Trumpet as a true musical instrument.

Giorgio
    David

....and it works sooooo great!
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

To me it would be easier, if I could have something like repetition detection or anti-machine gun function like in BFD2. Can somebody post a piece where I can hear an example of a really fast repetition done with the trumpet?

So how do you get repetition notes? By vary vibrato and loudness on each note?

Listen here: http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...2&postcount=47

This is an example I posted some times ago... . Here I controlled the dynamic only with Controller 25 (Velocity-linked Dynamics), set it up to the level of 64.
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Go Back to forum