• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The "Bigears trio" at the Cafe Insomnie

Share/Bookmark

(new version) The "Bigears trio" at the Cafe Insomnie

Hello, I was inspired by the Gershwin piece Tom posted (excellent!) and I am still trying to nail the jazz trio sound. On this piece written by George Gershwin I have rendered some MIDI using the Authorized Steinway with the Under Lid perspective. I have recently acquired "The Bass" from Bardstown Audio, and it is now used on this piece. I am still learning the many tweaks necessary to coax the right sound from these samples. Drums are played through the EZdrummer plug-in.
    I did this one in Sonar, bounced the tracks to wav in realtime, converted to MP3 at 192 Kb/s.
    I'm very interested in your comments, tips, and criticisms on this piece. I hope this one is enjoyed. John (bigears)
    "Our Love Is Here To Stay"
    http://www.box.net/shared/rz6viidk4g
    Last edited by bigears; 06-11-2008 at 10:15 AM. Reason: changed link

Re: The "Bigears trio" at the Cafe Insomnie

Quote Originally Posted by bigears View Post
    I'm very interested in your comments, tips, and criticisms on this piece. I hope this one is enjoyed. John (bigears)
    Comments: Really great sound.
    Tips: None
    Criticisms: None - except the bass is slightly light - maybe this system - don't know. Slight volume changes in the bass - but nothing of any consequence.

I could listen to a whole album of this all day - but please don't ask me anything about jazz - have no idea of how it works.

John,

Great playing; wonderful light swinging feel. Only criticism: For me, the drums are too loud. Sounds like I'm sitting closer to the drummer than the piano. Especially the ride cym and high hat...

John:

Absolutely great playing. If this is out of your head, it is even
    more magnificent. I think your back procedure let some more
    talent in............lol

I think the bass is really great, the balance fantastic, and, of
    course, the Steinway D awesome........Tag is great........

BRAVO, John

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

John, you've done it again - perfectly balanced trio ensemble with fully believable piano work; was this midi from the cd you took the other samples from?
    As far as I'm concerned you have got that trio sound nailed -Looking forward to hearing more.

Great flow. As was mentioned before, maybe the mix could benefit from a tweak here and there, but the foundation of the track is solid. I enjoyed this one a lot. Thanks for sharing it.
    Best regards,

Little Red King
    http://luridcactus.com/MusicPage.html

Ok, now Eugene has me confused. Did you play that piano part or not?

John,

I really enjoyed listening to this piece! I think you made an excellent choice in the upright — and I agree, that's such a tough sound to find!

So was this a general midi file you had that you rendered, or did you play some/all of the parts in yourself? Either way, sounds great.

My only critique would be that the drums sound a little bit "midi pattern", and not enough effect on them. Again, trying to get a computer to sound like a jazz drummer is like (insert simile here), so I know I'm asking for the near impossible. But the drums might sit a bit better in the mix if there was a bit more reverb on them.

Keep this stuff coming. I really love hearing it!

Tom

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions. I have examined the bass velocities and corrected them and replaced the MP3 with the edited version. Drums are a tough one for me to get right and I
    appreciate your tips and suggestions, and I will continue to work on this aspect.
    FYI, the foundation for this comes from a Jazz Piano folder in a MIDI collection I have. There is no information at all with the MIDI, if I had anyone to credit I certainly would. It is a great piano performance, and I have done very minimal tweaking there.
    I will continue to listen and learn from everyone and hopefully, these will get better. John (bigears)

John

I didn't hear the first version just because I was studying for exams. But this version sounds great. Love the sound of that Steinway.

Ron

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast