• Register
  • Help

Topic: How Many Layers Does Gary's New Steiny Have?

Share/Bookmark

How Many Layers Does Gary's New Steiny Have?

Hey Forum!

I'm trying to figure out how many layers of samples Gary's new Authorized Steinway has. I was reading the pdf online but didn't come across it so I thought I'd ask (if that's ok)

I originally did a demo called "Come Back To Me" using Gary's GPO Steinway (only 2 layers) and I'm now using White Grand for the most part since it has 17 layers I believe.

However... I am VERY interested in ordering Gary's new Steinway or perhaps East West Quantum Leap Pianos or the Galaxy II Steinway from Best Service.

Can anyone tell me how many layers of samples Gary new one has? Also... does anyone have both the new Steinway and other libs like Quantom Leap Pianos etc., and if so... can you share what your take is between them?

Thanks,
    Jamie (SEA)

Re: How Many Layers Does Gary's New Steiny Have?

Hi Sea,

Good to see you again and I replied to your email.

The answer is "it depends".

We used different velocity layers per note and we also used virtual layers as well. Although upwards of 24 velocity layers were recorded, we used considerably less for the final product. Different notes were optimized for quality, efficiency and optimized performance.

Best,

Gary Garritan

Thanks Gary for your reply!

I'm looking forward to trying out your new Steiny! Currently... I'm torn between yours and the Quantum Leap Pianos (hmmm). Wish I had the cash right now for both!

Best,
    Jamie (SEA)

Quote Originally Posted by sea View Post
    Hey Forum!

I'm trying to figure out how many layers of samples Gary's new Authorized Steinway has. I was reading the pdf online but didn't come across it so I thought I'd ask (if that's ok)

I originally did a demo called "Come Back To Me" using Gary's GPO Steinway (only 2 layers) and I'm now using White Grand for the most part since it has 17 layers I believe.

However... I am VERY interested in ordering Gary's new Steinway or perhaps East West Quantum Leap Pianos or the Galaxy II Steinway from Best Service.

Can anyone tell me how many layers of samples Gary new one has? Also... does anyone have both the new Steinway and other libs like Quantom Leap Pianos etc., and if so... can you share what your take is between them?

Thanks,
    Jamie (SEA)
    Hi Sea. I don't have the Quantum Leap pianos, though I did get many opinions on it from Gearslutz - I do have Akoustik Piano, Ivory, Pianoteq, and Garritan Steinway. There is no comparison - the Steinway is just a better sounding, more playable, and more expressive instrument than those I listed above. The general consensus I have gotten regarding the EW pianos is that they are ok - one or 2 pianos stick out, the others not so much. For what it's worth, the Steinway is what I would suggest over those in the list above.

Thanks stranded!

I'm going to do some A/B'ing with the White and the Garritan Steiny soon. Hopefully the Steiny will be what I'm looking for.

Jamie

Go Back to forum