• Register
  • Help

Topic: Converting Ensoniq CD ? which Software ?

Share/Bookmark

Converting Ensoniq CD ? which Software ?

hello

i tried Kontakt 3 to convert my CDR-02 Ensoniq CD. this CD has all the EPS16+ factory sound.
    unfortunatly, i have with kontakt 3 some very weird results . the same than kontakt 2. i thought the conversion was improved in kontakt 3, but it's not.
    so, when i convert the Digital Keys or any other keyboards sound, i get a very weird volume enveloppe and the instrument is uneasable.
    i don't want to spend hours to search how to fix that (i know nothing to sample programming, as i use only kontakt3 only as a player) .
    so, is there , somewhere, a software who actuall WORKS at converting Ensoniq CD ? (same question for Roland CD, i have no problem with Akai CD).

thanks

Re: Converting Ensoniq CD ? which Software ?

I used Translator Pro from Chicken Sys. to convert my Ensoniq library to EXS. It's not flawless, but works well.

http://www.chickensys.com/products/s...Translator+Pro

hi

i tried Translator Free .... all the samples have a bad loop(most of them, i mean ..).
    i translated one sound, and there is still a problem in the enveloppe but different than kontakt 3. the enveloppe seams to loop forever, there is no decay ....

is it the same problem for everybody ?

Well, If I remeber correctly, Translator puts all the samples on top of each other, so the "Patch Selects" on the Ensoniq keyboard are not separated from the main ones. You may have to go in and edit those layers out.

Personally, I found substitutes for most, of not all, the EPS sounds and trashed all the samples I converted.

Quote Originally Posted by mattdean View Post
    Well, If I remeber correctly, Translator puts all the samples on top of each other, so the "Patch Selects" on the Ensoniq keyboard are not separated from the main ones. You may have to go in and edit those layers out.

Personally, I found substitutes for most, of not all, the EPS sounds and trashed all the samples I converted.
    ~~~~
    well, there is still some sounds available in EPS16/ASR10 who is pretty difficult to find today, like the perfect Digital Keys from CDR2.

Kontakt is supposed to convert Ensoniq stuff as well as possible. If you find an exception (which you have), best thing is to send me the file and I can take a look (as I actually can do something about it).

Translator should convert similarly, plus it has the advantage of being updated immediately; whereas with Kontakt you have to wait. Kontakt's functionality is "free" (per se), but Translator does give you many more options beyond the typical conversions (see below).

I have Digital Keys (is that off the original 16-Plus factory disks, and on CDR-2?), so I'l take a look, and post back here.

A comment on bad loops: the Ensoniq typically uses a Loop End fractional parameter to deal with short loops to tune them, when +1 or -1 on the Loop End would make things too sharp or too flat. Kontakt should convert this to the Loop Tune parameter, but I'm not sure about the accuracy. Digital Keys is an electric piano which most likely relies heavily on short loops, so I'm not surprised on an issue.

Regarding the Patch Selects, in Kontakt the Patch Selects are "laid over" as MattDean says, but they use Controller Switching (MIDI Num 70, for Patch Selects) to separate them. If you look at the Group Names you'll see this happening. You are forced into this option rather then creating up to 4 separate .nki files (like "Digital Keys", "Digital Keys OX", "Digital Keys XO", or "Digital Keys XX"). With Translator you have the option of creating separate .nki's, or you can specify what switching you want among the Patch Selects - you can choose Ctl 70, or any controller, or KeySwitching.

Remember, there's nothing preventing you from tweaking post-conversion; you aren't stuck with what comes out. Then save your edits.

MartyProd, if you can call me at 320-235-9798, or email me at nisupport@chickensys.com, I can help you personally with your issue.

Thanks!
    Garth Hjelte
    Chicken Systems, Inc.

Well I used kontakt 4 to convert all my ensoniq CDRs, it worked great for me..

Quote Originally Posted by chickensys View Post
    Kontakt is supposed to convert Ensoniq stuff as well as possible. If you find an exception (which you have), best thing is to send me the file and I can take a look (as I actually can do something about it).

Translator should convert similarly, plus it has the advantage of being updated immediately; whereas with Kontakt you have to wait. Kontakt's functionality is "free" (per se), but Translator does give you many more options beyond the typical conversions (see below).

I have Digital Keys (is that off the original 16-Plus factory disks, and on CDR-2?), so I'l take a look, and post back here.

A comment on bad loops: the Ensoniq typically uses a Loop End fractional parameter to deal with short loops to tune them, when +1 or -1 on the Loop End would make things too sharp or too flat. Kontakt should convert this to the Loop Tune parameter, but I'm not sure about the accuracy. Digital Keys is an electric piano which most likely relies heavily on short loops, so I'm not surprised on an issue.

Regarding the Patch Selects, in Kontakt the Patch Selects are "laid over" as MattDean says, but they use Controller Switching (MIDI Num 70, for Patch Selects) to separate them. If you look at the Group Names you'll see this happening. You are forced into this option rather then creating up to 4 separate .nki files (like "Digital Keys", "Digital Keys OX", "Digital Keys XO", or "Digital Keys XX"). With Translator you have the option of creating separate .nki's, or you can specify what switching you want among the Patch Selects - you can choose Ctl 70, or any controller, or KeySwitching.

Remember, there's nothing preventing you from tweaking post-conversion; you aren't stuck with what comes out. Then save your edits.

MartyProd, if you can call me at 320-235-9798, or email me at nisupport@chickensys.com, I can help you personally with your issue.

Thanks!
    Garth,

This may be a long shot but can your translator program convert older Ensoniq Mirage and EMU Emax samples off of floppy discs? I have a bunch of samples on disc for both of these samplers but no way of using them (I kept them after selling off the hardware in hopes one day to be able to buy back the hardware.)

All the very best,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

I am most interested in this thread. My TS-12 died a few years ago after almost 15 years of great service. Maybe a lot of the sounds would be 'dated' to some, but frankly, I've got recordings using many of them and I have yet to find replacements that have the same visceral goodness (for me).

One example of an ASR-10 -sample- I had on floppy was this freeware Hammond B3 that floated all over the internet. It was basically all drawbars full on with some distortion and it just ROCKED. It totally captured the CSNY ('Woodstock') and Jon Lord vibe in a way that no sample lib I've ever heard does. And yeah, it was totally lo-fi, but so what?

Before the thing died, I sampled as many sounds as I could and still use them today.

I have -tried- to get replacements for these but so far? No luck.

The problem is that the Ensoniq line relied -heavily- on really interesting programming. So simple sample conversion just won't work. Someone would have to sample the -machines- at 16 or more velocity levels up and down the keyboard to get the real feel for what the TS-12 and ASR-10 could do.

I used to really envy Korg and Kurzweil guys with their great basic 'sounds', but then when I'd try to dig in, I'd realise that there was no 'there' there. The Ensoniq stuff had some -fabulous- programmability.

I'm sure it's not a big money maker, but I certainly would pay $200 for a truly decent TS-12 sample lib.

---JC

PS: If anyone knows about and has the Hammond sample---in Kontakt format, I was gushing about, I would LOVE to talk!

Go Back to forum