• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: First Notes with the Steinway

First Notes with the Steinway

Well, I finally took the plunge and ordered the G.Steinway. After installing, and getting my kybd scaling and velocity sensitivity, these are my first notes. (Am I the first to record my very first notes?) No edits. Classic Perspective.

If you can't tell, I am enamored with a certain pianist famous for solo improvised concerts...

For a very composed short tonal piece, I put this old original down as well....

Central Illinois

Re: First Notes with the Steinway

Nice to hear the Steinway in some capable hands. I like the pieces you have shared. I enjoy the space you give for the overtones to resonate awhile. The composed piece is very nice indeed. Equal to some of our better film composers, I believe. Thanks for sharing, hope to hear more of your playing. Regards, John (bigears)

Bellingham, WA

Beautiful work in all aspects. I second John's post.
    sos (Steve)

Great playing.

No edits, huh?

I can't post a piece of my playing without erasing at least a few doubled up notes from my clumsy fingers.

Well done

Nice touch Alan.

Good to hear a "musical canvas" in the making.
    Sounded like you were composing as you were
    playing--as if you were actually interpreting a
    picture, vision or something.

Great sounding perspective.

If it's not too much trouble, you could help some
    others with their perspective choices, etc. by
    noting what you used, and maybe some reverb
    tips............just a thought.

Great piece, Alan

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

well, it is rather clumsy by Jarrett standards. But, you know, at some point you just do what you do and find peace with it. Its kind of like there aren't any "wrong" notes per se when doing that......now the 2nd piece is a composed number that I edited the midi velocity on a few notes to better bring out the melody.

This is a very impressive improvisation. Since I am very familiar with most of Jarrett's work even more so. I also went to your My Space page. Wow - what a talent you have. I loved: And I Love Her - very nice trio. Do you play professionally??

Wow! I said this on another post...and it deserves to be said again, "Jeez, I am gone for a couple of years...and I come back to music like this?"

OK that was not the exact wording, but the sentiment is the same! WOW...very cool!

Prowland the posting Ninja

Thanks, all. Thomas, yes I still make most of my living from performing live, but its getting harder! Which is why the home studio is important for filling in the gaps.

Hi, Alan!

This is so soothing to my ears. I've listened to 'Amelia' like 5 times already! BTW, do you also sing along and sit and stand while playing like KJ does?

If you don't mind, I'd like to know the settings that you used for the Classic Perspective (EQ, Ambience, etc.). Thanks in advance.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast