• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO files & MIDIs ...

Share/Bookmark

Red face GPO files & MIDIs ...

Hi all,

I've had GPO for a long time, but really haven't had time to for the last few years to sit down and orchestrate anything other than a few ideas and themes...(!) Time-starved...

I'm trying to find some GPO files with MIDIs to get some ideas... I've searched online but not really found anything...

If anyone could point me towards some, or if you have a few you would be willing to share, then I'd be grateful!

Thanks!

Re: GPO files & MIDIs ...

Your best bet, I would think, would be to pick your favorite musical pieces, and then search for the MIDI files, import, and assign the appropriate GPO instruments. If you are just wanting orchestration techniques, then hit the Principles of Orchestration section of this forum.

Experiment...I think that is all any of us really do. We find the combinations that work for us, and just write.

I look forward to hearing what you come up with!
    Paul

Prowland the posting Ninja

devolution2:

If you are merely looking for pieces to practice orchestrating, than I suggest that you look at the Schubert piano sonatas as some of them are written in a very orchestral style. Also look to the Debussy Preludes, very rich material that adapts to orchestration very well.
    Good luck!

sosmus

www.musicrobot.com has hundreds, perhaps thousands of midi files, although some are now lost in the midst of time. Search by composer, band or title and it finds them on the net for you.

Quote Originally Posted by devolution2 View Post
    Hi all,

I've had GPO for a long time, but really haven't had time to for the last few years to sit down and orchestrate anything other than a few ideas and themes...(!) Time-starved...

I'm trying to find some GPO files with MIDIs to get some ideas... I've searched online but not really found anything...

If anyone could point me towards some, or if you have a few you would be willing to share, then I'd be grateful!

Thanks!
    I sympathise with devolution2.
    I'm new to GPO and it would be lovely to have user's ideas on, for instance, a good average cc1 value for each of the instruments.
    Some "GPO midi files" would be great if users shared them with their uploaded MP3's.
    It would certainly help the learning curve of others and reduce the levels of frustration thorughout the world :-)

I've found Classical Archives (www.classicalarchives.com/) to be a great source of files in terms of notation, but most of them are general midi and some of them not so good.

The tutorials section of the forums/site here is really good and folks have put a lot of time and effor tinto them but wouldn't it be nice to have a few GPO midi files available from end-users.

Neil
    Neil B
    Pentium 4 PC Windows XP Home 32 bit 3.6 Ghz, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian, Kontakt 3, GPO 3, EWQLSC, Scope Pulsar II, Cubase 4.5

You do have to do some hunting to weed out the junk.
    But the 'net is really awash in MIDI files. Googling
    http://www.google.com/search?safe=st...iles+classical
    for instance comes up with 400,000 pages!

This just amazes me, sometimes. We're a planet full
    of musicians!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Yes the net is awash with midi files, some good some bad and mostly general midi based.

I think the point of the post though from devolution2 & myself is that it would be nice for us GPO newbies to be able to have a few GPO based midi files to get us going.
    You know the sort of things:
    Experienced users know the sweet spot of cc values for soft solo violin or horn swells and so on.
    Just a few of these shared files (over and above those found in the tutorials section of the site) would give us a great boost on the learning curve.

To second devolution2 - anyone have any files they'd like to share?
    Neil B
    Pentium 4 PC Windows XP Home 32 bit 3.6 Ghz, Omnisphere, Stylus RMX, Trilian, Kontakt 3, GPO 3, EWQLSC, Scope Pulsar II, Cubase 4.5

I have about 500 very-high quality "MIDI" files that I would be glad to share. Most were sequenced by my friend and collaborator Dr. David Siu (I was kinda like the "renderer" guy.) I have some in there, but most were original MIDIs by David, crammed into 16 MIDI channels, laboriously separated by me into individual MIDI channels. Some of them requiring up to 95 MIDI channels, meaning 4 or 5 MIDI 16-channel ports!!!! Of course over time, I may have lost the original MIDI's, but no fear, most are well-covered in multi-channel Cakewalk WRK/CWP files.

You want a challenge? These MIDI (WRK/CWP) files will suit your desire.

Samples: If you wanna play, here's a sample:

Click here for Dr. David
    Click here for my humble work.

The Strauss absolutely kicked my buttocks up and down, but after it was done - WOW!!

I've always loved the Bruckner (you do that when the ol' man is a horn player) - I did this one and a lot of others all by my lonesome.

Stevemitchell

That's a very generous gesture Steve - thanks.
    I haven't got cakewalk so I can't play your demos but I would be interested in any GPO based midi files you can find in the bowels of your hard drive :-)

Feel free to email me via our link on www.tonaleffects.co.uk if you find any mid files.

Again, thanks

Neil
    Neil B

Go Back to forum