• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New Star Wars movie and TV Shows Music

Share/Bookmark

New Star Wars movie and TV Shows Music

Hey everyone,

I've been looking around the net to find some answers, but can't locate any. Does anyone know if John Williams will be doing the new theatrical Clone Wars score? I guess I assume that he will, but you never know.

As far as the two new TV shows, I imagine that he will write new themes, then hand over the bulk of the score to someone else to flush out. They used Joel McNeely on the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles, plus he also wrote the Shadows of the Empire mock-score album. So, maybe they'll tap him.

I think our own Rob Kral would do an amazing job. His score for Superman: Doomsday was fantastic. I wasn't going to see the film, until I saw that Rob had written the score. Then it was a no-brainer. For those of you who are unfamiliar with his music, watch Angel, the Dresden Files, Duck Dogers, or Sliders. In my opinion, I think that Rob is one of the best composers for the small screen working today.

I would really like to see him do at least one of the shows. Since he did Duck Dogers for Cartoon Network, maybe he'll get the animated series. Here's to hoping. Rob, any chance that you'll get the gig?

Christophe Beck would probably also do a good job, but I think that he has left TV for good and is doing features only now.

If they wanted a modern, action-orientated score, they could always get Michael Giacchino. It'd be cool to hear what he would do with Star Wars material.

But the best guy to do them is this dude named Jonathon Cox. What do you mean you've never heard of any of the TV shows this guy has done? Go watch the ultra-hip, "How the Puritan's Knit" or the extreme-action-dramedy, "Trees Growing" or the Garabage award winning documentary "When Babies Drool"!!. Some of the best, nonsensical, ignoramously written pieces of flab every composed for the human ear!! YEAH RIGHT!!!

Oh well, just a few randon thoughts. Of course, it would be absolutely amazing if John Williams did the series, but realistically, I'm not sure if he would be up to it. The schedules on a series are pretty tight.

Either way, I'm extremely jazzed about all of this.

Have a good day.
    Jonny (Waiting by the phone for a call from the directors to write these scores) Lost
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Re: New Star Wars movie and TV Shows Music

As with the Jurassic Park and Harry Potter sequels, I doubt John Williams will do the score for The Clone Wars; someone else will probably just use his themes. I thought the preview for The Clone Wars... cheesy. I'm kinda doubting it will do very well. In fact, John Williams's scores are what, to me, makes those newer first three episode Star Wars films bearable at all. Now they take away John Williams and live action, doesn't leave much. In my opinion, at least!

For TV, I agree Michael Giacchino would be awesome, though I doubt they'd be able to get him, or be able to even think of him. But... who knows what they'll do...

Will be interesting!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Lost View Post
    Hey everyone,

I've been looking around the net to find some answers, but can't locate any. Does anyone know if John Williams will be doing the new theatrical Clone Wars score?
    I don't know, but I doubt it. The way his score got hacked up for the last two films, and the way it's been getting turned further and further down with each remastered rerelease, the whole project must be feeling less special.
    David

Personally, they should just stop milking the franchise. They already had the animated clone wars on before, but I doubt it's going to be the same thing.
    Anthony Abruscato

"There are only two types of music: Love Songs and Pirate Music"

HP Pavillion dv6171cl w/ Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, 2 GB Ram, 250 GB 5200 RPM HD + an external 300 GB HD. GPO, JABB, CAMB, Sibelius 5.1, Finale 2008a, and a demo copy of FL studio.

Interesting. Maybe you guys can explain to me exactly what people don't like about the new trilogy. I have never been able to get a straight answer. Is it the acting, the story, the action? What?

Personnally, I have the ability to disconnect things from each other. Meaning that I can take a movie that was based on a novel and disconnect one from the other and can enjoy both as their own seperate entities. I think some people have a hard time doing that.

I'm the type of person that wants something to be complete. So when they made the new trilogy, I was all for it. I, in fact, loved the new films. I don't compare them to the original 3 because the are their own beast.

From a film makers point of view, what happens to the score after the composer turns it in is at the discreation of the editors, directors and producers. I have been in situations where last minute cuts and edits had to be done and the score was chopped here and there to allow for the new cut of the film. That's film making. With John Williams being the type of professional that he is, I'm sure he understands this. The second trilogy is not the first time that a score of his has been re-cut and rehashed. Look at the last 3 original Superman films. Sure, the composer credit goes to Ken Thorne, but in reality, he didn't actually write new music for the films. He cut and pasted it together.

John Williams did the first 2 Jurassic Park films and the first 4 Harry Potter films. I'm not sure why they went with Don Davis for the third Jurassic Park, but I know for the Harry Potter films, the directors wanted to go a different way with the score than what John Williams was doing.

Anyway, I am an avid Star Wars and John Williams fan. I have collected many many books from the Expanded Universe and have read and reread them many times. I can't wait for the new Star Wars stuff.

Does everyone feel this way about Star Wars? Do people think they should give it up?

Jonny

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

OK, I just re-read what I posted here and wow, I just realized I'M A COMPLETE JERK!!!!

Sorry guys.

Jonny

Interesting. Maybe you guys can explain to me exactly what people don't like about the new trilogy.
    Don't know - I love them too. The dialogue is crap (Just when you thought Spaceballs was a parody, Lucas starts getting his ideas from it) but that's not what they're about.

From a film makers point of view, what happens to the score after the composer turns it in is at the discreation of the editors, directors and producers. I have been in situations where last minute cuts and edits had to be done and the score was chopped here and there to allow for the new cut of the film. That's film making. With John Williams being the type of professional that he is, I'm sure he understands this. The second trilogy is not the first time that a score of his has been re-cut and rehashed. Look at the last 3 original Superman films. Sure, the composer credit goes to Ken Thorne, but in reality, he didn't actually write new music for the films. He cut and pasted it together.
    Sure it's at the director's discretion. On the other hand Williams is the best - he knows what he's doing. Lucas even keeps describing Star Wars as an opera, or a silent movie, and says that JW is the one doing the story telling. With the last two films Lucas asked for cues to be written for some scenes, then decided to cut and paste in stuff from Phantom Menace instead. It's kind of like telling JW he didn't know what he was doing.

John Williams did the first 2 Jurassic Park films and the first 4 Harry Potter films.
    He only did three Harry's, and I think that's only according to IMDB. I'm fairly sure the CD sleeve for the second one credited someone else. (can't get at my CDs at the moment)
    David

OK, I just re-read what I posted here and wow, I just realized I'M A COMPLETE JERK!!!!

Sorry guys.

Jonny
    Eh?! How's that then?
    David

Does anyone know if John Williams will be doing the new theatrical Clone Wars score?
    Unfortunately, no.
    IMDb says it will be composed (or rehashed, whichever you prefer) by Kevin Kiner.
    http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0454349/
    NorthernSounds.NET.
    View Ben Botkin's Profile at NorthernSounds.net
    www.benbotkin.com

I too think the dialogue is awful. From the very first film, Luke Skywalker comes across (to me) as a whiny baby, as does Anakin in the newer films. Everyone seems to speak with this sort of forced formalism, as if Lucas is trying to make too many scenes profound and quotable, but it just doesn't sound natural enough for me. The cheesy dialogue then makes the actors look bad.

Secondly, in the newer films, I think Lucas depended too much on CGI. Every setting was too clean and perfect looking, which to me made it all seem fake, and every monster or alien looked fake up close. I think it could have seemed more real and engaging if Lucas had built some more elaborate sets, used more miniatures, and more puppetry for monster or alien close-ups. And puppet Yoda is infinitely better than CGI Yoda! Ok, puppet Yoda didn't seem more "real"... but more "tangible", which I prefer. (Probably less blue screen and green screen and more tangible sets would have helped the actors engage in their characters as well.)

Anyway, I don't mind if they continue milking the franchise... if they could get some decent writers, there's plenty they could still do. I think Lucas has a great sense of story, and his overall plotlines work very well for me, I just wish the dialogue didn't seem so cheesy. And I wish Lucas wasn't so over-dependent of CGI in the newer films; CGI is not yet to the point where it can replace (though it should aid) a good miniature or the rich texture of a puppet's tangible skin.

Just my opinion!
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Go Back to forum